The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
What a horrible choice.

Stick with the PL who tried to shaft us with domestic FFP and show solidarity with Burnley, Wolves and the rest of the shithouses putting their names to letters trying to shaft us ? Support UEFA and the likes of Tebas and the Bayern and Dortmund hierarchy who have slagged us off at every available opportunity ?

Or go with the absolute vermin who did their utmost to destroy us and are now systematically destroying English football ?

I don't believe for one second that the PL, UEFA and FIFA will go through with their threats of expulsion, but, if they did, what would stop the American owners from throwing us out in a couple of years to replace us with someone more "historically worthy" (i.e. American owned) ?

The only thing we can say with absolute certainty is that we can't trust anyone
Good points mate.
Hate UEFA with a passion after trying to ban us last year.
Hate PL as well.

My initial reaction was pretty much one of horror at the thought of this. I saw the impassioned pleas of Neville and nodded along,

The clubs though have a point. How long have City fans hated UEFA, called it corrupt, despised the CL?

This is a breakaway from UEFA not the PL, we would still play in the PL and without UEFA squad limits we could easily afford a squad of 40 players that are registered for both competitions.

Covid has shown that the appetite for live football on TV remains even if no fans attend, so don't think that fans will be important, there not already.

I don't like the people involved with setting it up, that is the downside, but they also have dealings with UEFA and if like us as fans they see UEFA as corrupt then can you blame them for wanting out?

The proposed changes to the CL are ridiculous so why not fuck UEFA off and go it alone. Leave them and their shitty CL to be played for by clubs finishing 4th in domestic leagues. UEFA have brought this on themselves. Fuck em

Woke up fuming even more. 126 years history of a club feels like has been tossed aside for the pure fucking greed of billionaire owners

I really hope when the club fully brief the fans it will make sense in terms of “doing the right thing”

Perhaps you should consider the alternative. A FIFA-administered international tournament in which all of the elite players are excluded ... by order of FIFA. How much sponsorship is that going to bring in? How many viewers will tune in? How many advertising slots will be sold? And at what price-point? How many countries will compete to host this?

Note that I didn't say that organising any tournament is simple in logistical terms. It is the solution to the breakaway clubs' dilemma which is a simple choice. They have the elite players. They have world-class stadia. They have global media giants on board. They can organise a tournament themselves if the traditional organisers choose to ostracise their players. They're amply resourced. And they'd probably make loads of money in the process too.
"All"? They have 20 clubs worth of elite players. I don't watch the fucking World Cup to see elite players; I watch to see my country do well, and failing that (which is inevitable), other countries I like. Do you think I root for the US because we're any good? How many of the millions and millions of Americans who watch the WC can name seven footballers apart from Messi and Ronaldo who aren't American? How do you think the Olympics do? How do you think they did the year the US or Russia boycotted them? No one gave a shit -- it was easier for their countrypeople to win! These clubs are trying to leverage their brands. Well, the WORLD CUP, like THE OLYMPICS, will ALWAYS be bigger brands than fucking "Juventus" or (lord knows) "Tottenham" globally, whatever/whoever is in them.

Going after the players who participate in the Super League -- both no international competitions and no participation in European leagues after their careers in the Super League are over -- is the go-to UEFA move here. Assuming they can do it legally.

This is all so surreal. But let’s be honest with ourselves, football in its truest sense died a long time ago. I’ll never forget that feeling in the QF vs Spurs.

The Sky Sports era and the premier league, creating the financial chasm between it and the rest of the EFL etc etc etc.

I could keep going but it’s pointless. What we think doesn’t matter and the truth is, it hasn’t for a long damn time.

I'm going to get a bit political here, so my apologies if I offend anyone.

All these big clubs behave like multinational conglomerates, in a football world with widening inequality between the haves and the have nots. In many respects, I think the football world reflects what is going on in the wider society.

As an example, every season we see clubs putting up prices to attend games. I could never understand why a giant club like City would continue to push up prices. After all, we don't need the money, and even slight increase are a great imposition on City fans. But if you think about it, it's because the fundamental basis of capitalism is to maximise profits, and do so in an environment they they can control as much as possible. This means that every aspect of our business is studied by the bean counters, including the cost of attending games. Like I said, its about maximising profit. Almost every club does the same, and City prices are far more reasonable than most, but it's still about control by bean counters.

Football is also big business. Lets look at the World Cup in Brazil. Dave Zirin, in his book, Brazil's Dance with the Devil, showed how this sporting mega-event became a carnival of state-sponsored neoliberalism, characterised by mass evictions, gentrification, increased repression and surveillance, vast expenditure on redundant facilities and corporate plundering of public funds. And we know the next World Cup will be similar. They have basically used slave labour to build the facilities.

We have been lucky to have amazing owners who genuinely do care about the club. As we know they have invested significantly in Manchester. So I don't want to believe that our owners should be tarred with the same brush as the American owners, who I believe have driven this potential catastrophe.

From what I have read, in this tragic disaster both City and Chelsea were painted into a corner. To not sign up would have been commercial suicide for both clubs. The sustainable business model developed by CFG would have been shattered.

But the fact is we do have a sustainable business model, so if this falls over (as we hope it does), its not going to affect us anywhere near as much as poorly run clubs like Barcelona and Real.

I honestsly believe that our owners in their hearts will be pleased if this does collapse. They have run a successful business, almost all the others have not.

Let's not give up hope. This is potentially the biggest fight ever in football.

The stakes are so high that I am hopeful that a compromise will occur between UEFA and the football giants.

My initial reaction was pretty much one of horror at the thought of this. I saw the impassioned pleas of Neville and nodded along,

The clubs though have a point. How long have City fans hated UEFA, called it corrupt, despised the CL?

This is a breakaway from UEFA not the PL, we would still play in the PL and without UEFA squad limits we could easily afford a squad of 40 players that are registered for both competitions.

Covid has shown that the appetite for live football on TV remains even if no fans attend, so don't think that fans will be important, there not already.

I don't like the people involved with setting it up, that is the downside, but they also have dealings with UEFA and if like us as fans they see UEFA as corrupt then can you blame them for wanting out?

The proposed changes to the CL are ridiculous so why not fuck UEFA off and go it alone. Leave them and their shitty CL to be played for by clubs finishing 4th in domestic leagues. UEFA have brought this on themselves. Fuck em
So the breakaway clubs are not corrupt?

They are creating a closed competition.

UEFA are corrupt, but these 12 clubs are trying to destroy the very heart of football.

Love you mate but you need to catch up. This is a simple precursor to a closed Super League with 38 weekend games per side (and those five open slots will also be closed as soon as the SL figures out which five European clubs can make the league the most money I assure you). If this goes through it will only be a matter of time -- perhaps almost no time -- before we either bin the Prem or it bins us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.