The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Correct re winners but the league isn't just about who wins it. The league is competitive because clubs fight tooth and nail to be part of it. To finish top 4 and get that CL spot.

Going back 15 years, 58 of the last 59 English entries into the Champions League were from the super league clubs. Leicester are the only one since 2006 to break it up and that was 1 year.

Presumably if this does go through, Everton, Leicester etc will fight for a qualification spot because it'll mean stupid money for the club, and so the competitiveness will remain at the top end.

Really, what's changed? Big 6 go to Europe, same as ever. Mid-table scrap for an impossibly small chance of qualifying.

I suppose you could say this year is the exception - Everton, Leicester, West Ham all genuinely going for the top 4, but it took a once a century global pandemic to happen, so we can't pretend like it's going to be repeated.

IMO football has been in a crisis for 30 years and at least this has brought it to a head, and we might actually start discussing how we want the sport to be. Do we want 1992-2021 domination by an ever smaller group of clubs? Or do we want a revolving door of clubs rising and falling like post war-1991?

How far are we actually willing to go to make things more competitive, make the game a level playing field?

Well it sounds like PSG are ready to sign up based on some posts a while back, so it could be all 4 out.
PSG can't be seen to be for it with Qatar 22 on the horizon and Bein Sports holding broadcast rights for the CL until 2024.

Money in the game has been allowed to get out of control for last few decades and this is what happens. They’re now businesses and not clubs. Fans don’t matter to them right now.

But only fans can make this fail.

I am absolutely disgusted that our club has signed up to this grubby, greedy, pathetic power grab league that is anything but "super". I've been supporting Manchester City for over forty years for what it's worth, (it does not seem to matter to clubs), been through five relegations, endured Alan Ball and Frank Clark's incompetence in those relegations and the mental pain of watching City when Stuart Pearce was managing our club, and this is the most angry and disappointed that I have felt about our club, joining with other clubs that have all conspired to stab our club in the back previously, yet we roll with these gangsters. Maybe naively I thought better of our club's owners who have done so much good work in the community. Maybe the club's owners felt like they had to do this to remain amongst the elite. That would not quell my feelings of revulsion and deep disappointment. I'm hoping that somehow Football governing bodies, governments and players can stop this power and cash grab, but I expect they will all be bought off too.

Football should always, be about competition and merit. I hate relegation but keeping away from it is part of football. A League without relegation is not a league. It's a franchise. There's no jeopardy. It kills the dream of fans of other clubs who will be damaged financially by this. It's boring, worthless spiritually and there's a note of caution. How long before those conniving, back stabbing clubs go for City again? They've done it before repeatedly over several years, and there's a good chance that they will do it again.

Who is really interested in a dull regular midweek diet of Inter, Arsenal and Real Madrid, year in year out? Have they no concept of less is more. Again its a case of people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

This greed league is bad for Football and it is bad for City. I'm sure you have figured out by now that as someone who loves Manchester City and Football, I am disgusted, appalled and totally against it.

does anybody know what roles the manchester city board have been offer on the super league council ?
i heard the united board have already walk away from uefa board and step down last night. so a top of the table job for them on the super league council ? manchester city must have been offered a major role on the board

Let's join the dots on this:
  • 'underwritten' by JP Morgan (not 'financed')
  • JP Morgan is a US investment bank
  • the model is very similar to US sports franchises
  • JP Morgan are obviously expecting to make a profit on this by selling the rights around the World (and, let's not misunderstand, the market for this is the world, not England or Europe) and they are no mugs
  • It is almost certainly driven by the US owned clubs
So, faced with this, City have two choices - get involved or not. We can sit outside and take the moral high ground but if it actually happened and was successful (bith big 'ifs' I grant you) then our business would take a big, big hit. And let's not forget, we've all been shouting from the rooftops that the purchase of City in 2008 was a business investment and the aim is for HHSM to make a big profit in the long run by turning it into a global sports business. Taking a big hit is not part of the plan. And for those who say 'being banned from the PL etc. gives a bigger hit', that may be true (I'm sure someone is crunching the numbers as we speak) but, if so, then clearly the ESL won't happen - but it depends who blinks first (the PL would be a lame duck without the top 6 as well so it's a lose/lose situation).

So, whilst it may leave a sour taste in the mouth, I can understand entirely why the board have thrown their lot in with the ESL idea.

No big ifs on will it work - imo it would (whether we like it or not) Every club has millions of followers worldwide. And as you say, this isnt about marketing it to just local fan bases now - its global

Weather it happens or not, we now know what the owners really feel about the fans. There is no going back from this.

This league will grow and grow until they all resign from the PL. It’ll end up being the only league they play in and it’ll have its own knock out cup etc.
I guess that is probably the ultimate aim. If the clubs are kicked out of their national leagues, then it will most likely be brought forward.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.