The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Mourinho’s sacking HAS to be linked to this news, considering the cup final is coming up.

Clearly Mourinho has kicked off with them and they’ve booted him out.

Never thought I would respect Mourinho.

He probably has had enough and did enough for them to let him go, so that he can walk away with a load of money.

It'#s really not the "death of the club". It's a change in football's structure, like the abolition of maximum wage, formation of the premier league or the champions league. Just to reiterate, I don't want it or like it, but it is not going to change the club's badge, history or location and it is certainly not "the death" of the club. We are already a big franchise, we've changed the club's badge several times and we've even moved location.
Never sold our soul in my recollection of our history.

I do love the idea that the PL, Sky and BT are the saviours, rallying against the ‘greed is good’ culture. That the various other PL clubs, who actually tried to charge extra money to watch football during the pandemic, all the clubs who charge between £40-100+ to watch a live game, and who sanction over £50 pm to subscribe to watch football on tv, are now complaining about greed.
The press, who have bitched and moaned for 10 years about anti-competitiveness and an unlevel playing field, are becoming the saviours. Ha.
And, of course, worst of all is us, the fans. Where did we think it was going to end once we didn’t denounce paying footballers hundreds of thousands of pounds a week? Messi wants £500000+ a week and we have experts on here telling us how we can afford it, not that it’s morally reprehensible. Harland wants £1M a week and we should move heaven and earth to get him. £60 for a ticket to watch city against 11 blokes stood in their own penalty area for 90 minutes and we pay it. £100+ for tickets to Wembley, city slow to sell out and their fans are worthless wretches. Now, apparently, football is a working class game that’s losing touch with its roots. What, losing touch with its roots in 2021? Now, that is funny....
There are, undoubtedly, many villains in this story but we, the fans, have been willing accomplices for far too long and I’m not convinced we can anymore take the moral high ground than the charlatans at the FA, in the media or the government (this is actually an archetypal Tory wet dream type policy to be fair).

Staying Manchester CIty FC or becoming CFG incarnate, fully and unreservedly.

I'd take option 1. Manchester City won't exist in a few years with the globalization model. It'll be rolled in to one franchise - that's the goal

Supporting this is supporting the end of the club
Again you're basing this on your own hypothesis as to what is going to happen. I don't share that same worry that Manchester City will cease to exist. As I say, this is happening with or without us, so I would rather be on the inside pissing out.

Did he give them an ultimatum over this ?

Weird timing to sack him. If they wanted to they could've sacked him ages ago. Or after the final.

This surely smells like an ultimatum. Maybe he told Levy if Spurs joined ESL, he will not manage a single game or something like that.

The proposed changes to the CL are indeed ridiculous but so is having the likes of Spurs in a tournament that they can never been excluded from. This is a club that hasn't won their own league since 1961, has only qualified for the CL on four occasions and has lost 13 out of the 35 games they have ever played in the competition. And whilst the whole CL scenario is grotesque this so called super league is worse
You are right. Few would argue that UEFA needs to survive. It is bad for the game and not only because it is a corrupt body. It has also stifled progress and innovation in the game. If UEFA had any credibility it would not be facing this challenge.
But this ESL proposal (as it stands) looks like an even worse option than the current status quo. The only hope now is that some sort of new structure emerges from this bitter battle which preserves proper competition and protects the domestic leagues. I can't see how a league where the same clubs play each other repeatedly can be sustainable for a long period of time. European football is totally different to the NFL. It is based on geography and tribal instincts going back centuries.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.