The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
Think we'd still have the domestic league. Too much money at stake to chuck us and the other 5 teams out

ok so we still have the epl and cups domestically.

right. Not happy with it but for city can understand why they would join To be in at the start

however we weren’t too long ago Newcastle West Ham and Everton hoping for Europe. Seems a bloody shame

Fukin shit houses

Listen we've known each other a while and I respect the head on your shoulders. But I'm left today watching your reaction video and reading your posts and the overwhelming thought is "what did you THINK would happen?".

The European Super League was always going to come up, it's too profitable an idea for it to not keep coming around.

Did you think these investors at City from the other side of the planet who were happy to post the biggest financial losses in the history of the sport were going to purposely hurt their growth by dying on a moral hill of competitiveness? These people who purposely distorted "competition" by their huge investments? There's just not a reality where I could have seen that happening in 2011 let alone 2021.

We've spoken for years about City's desire to be one of the big boys in European football. We've all known that that is what we wanted. That's what we've gotten now. We're locked in for a quarter of a century as one of the giants of the game.

City were never the "cartel busting" force that some on here presented them as. City were out to make money for City and grow the club to be the biggest in the world. That was always their goal from the day the takeover happened. Shit, they literally told us that in the Shiekh's first statement if I remember correctly.

Buried in this thread I've argued that competition doesn't exist in the European football and hasn't done for the last 30 years. But I'm consistently surprised that people who support a club who know better than anyone else that you NEED a billionaire investor just to compete can really talk like there's real competition already and this is a death knell for it. Competition died a decade before City were taken over. City's actions over the past 12 years prove that competition is dead because look at what we had to do in order to compete.

And watching Sky Sports come out against this as a money grab is almost making me vomit. Remember free to air top division football? Sky Sports invented much of the economics of football that led to the death of competition. Now that digital distribution is going to be the major player rather than satellite, and they are not positioned like Amazon are to deliver that content digitally, they've suddenly found some morals about the whole affair.

It never ceases to amaze me how corporations suddenly find morals when it is in their financial advantage to do so.
No doubt the European Super League would happen one day but why make it a closed competition? Thats the issue here.

A open competition for all, I could support, but closed to the same teams, year in, year our, you got to be having a laugh.

The premier league games if go ahead would be an inconvenience to the big 6 and the players would be saved for the midweek "important" games and what would be the point of playing the league games with no qualifying at stake?
Pointless, as you say. The BM “player rotation” thread would rammed.

One possibility is it’s just a fig leaf - a stepping stone to the Snide 6 pulling out in favour of an expanded ESL. After all what’s an ESL when its reps come entirely from 4 or 5 countries?

Maybe they will leave a reserve/development team as a residual presence in English football.

Some cnuts must have already thought this out.

NEVER thought I’d say this...Gary Neville has more balls than my Club MCFC...I’m deeply ashamed to be a City fan, well, no I’m not..but this ISN'T City anymore, and I think we all know that now...gutted.

See Nevilles passioned speech below here.

Where was Nevilles outrage when all this began?
I’m not talking about the super league.
This has been building from the start of the formation of the premier league, la liga the same.
Those teams have become superpowers with the backing of UEFA, the premier league, the fa, la liga, Sky and BT.
The high transfer fees set by them, the high wages set by them.
His club.
Where was his outrage then?
Nowhere, cos he was quite happy to except their wages, continue to win trophy after trophy and sit at the top of the table and fuck everyone else.
Funny how we’ve only recently heard their outrage since their teams no longer have the monopoly on the league.
I’ve no problem with what he said, if it’d been 10-15 years ago.

You mean the Gary Neville who owns a lower tier football team that will be hurt by this proposal?
And who works for a media company which has been amongst the most responsible for happily paying obscene amounts of money to football clubs for televised football rights perpetuating and condoning the ever increasing amounts of greed that encourages?

Sky lit the fuse in the first place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.