The Super League | FA + PL: New Charter & Fines | UEFA: Settlement

Would you be happy if City joined this European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 109 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,954 94.7%

• Total voters
a) Agreed. But the USA -- white middle-class USA mind you -- is a VERY large, and mostly untapped market, seeing a change in how young people think about and consume sport, and with one of the "big four" sports (baseball, as played by youngsters) in serious decline, and the competitive league (MLS) still growing but not yet a "major" sport (Atlanta United draws more fans than City; Chicago Fire draws fewer than Bournemouth -- or thereabouts).

b) It's harder for me to agree with this because I am a "legacy fan" according to the SL owners, and one of the reasons I love the league structure is precisely because of its differences to US sports -- balanced schedules (not true in any American sport), promo/relegation (not true in any American sport), random draw cups (not true in any American sport save soccer), regular season winner in the league is automatic champion (not true in any American sport). And some of these would, I think go away in a Super League (under my permanent 20-team full-league model) and some would be kept.

c) Important to know just how huge Liga MX is in the US.

U.S. Viewership Of Liga MX Playoffs Smashes EPL And MLS Ratings​

Of course that's the playoffs, but still -- while I think you're right that immigrant-descended populations are hungry for soccer, most of those I know (from all over the world) do already have their favo(u)rite sides and the ability to watch them somehow with streaming. I think the bigger opportunity is with non-immigrants personally.
Yeh I may well be underestimating the sheer financial prize offered right now by tapping into white guys in Wisconsin or wherever, as opposed to some truly global market that's more future potential. It's easy to get caught up in the global nature of European football when (for example from my experience) you can watch the premier league in a bar in Dar Es Salaam, forgetting that these fans are worth fuck all in broadcasting/advertising revenue in the big picture.

That's a really interesting point about the Mexican league. I suppose you could imagine, years into the future, a proper inter-American (i.e. the whole Americas) club competition getting big audiences.

Funny story about immigrants to the US and football, since I've nowhere else to share it. My wife is from Miami but her family are from the Caribbean and love football, to such an extent her brother is called Edson (as in, Pele's real name) and her cousin Diego. She was telling some German bloke this one time and he was like "do you have another cousin called Klinsmann?" As if Klinsmann is the third name on that list? Talk about German arrogance.

Everybody at work, who spoke to me about this today, was against the idea.

They were all, like me absolutely disgusted with the thought of it.
I’ve seen quite a few comments online from neutral fans that has put the blame entirely on our shoulders.
Our spending, cheating etc..

Of course we’d get support from other clubs and fans if we did. Most pundits including the likes of Carragher and Neville would be praising us. Unfortunately though our lovely rich owners are as greedy and snide as the rest of these tossers involved.
Some still think they are great. I’d trade the last 12 years for us not to be involved in this charade.
If it’s only instead of the Champs League, how does it really fuck over clubs like Burnley and Sheffield Utd? The Prem League will carry on with us and Liverpool etc still involved.

Isn’t it just the CL by another name with different (richer) backers and fewer games against Scandinavian part timers in early rounds?

Or have I once again completely misunderstood?
it’s virtually a closed shop, no top 4 qualifying and the same teams every year.

After years of investing in their team, they are finally on the verge of qualifying for the Champions League. I'd imagine they're raging.
I bet Everton feel like the drawbridge is being pulled up just as they are on the verge of becoming a force again too. New stadium planned, top manager attracting better players. Some good additions over the next few windows and you could see them getting top 4.

If it’s only instead of the Champs League, how does it really fuck over clubs like Burnley and Sheffield Utd? The Prem League will carry on with us and Liverpool etc still involved.

Isn’t it just the CL by another name with different (richer) backers and fewer games against Scandinavian part timers in early rounds?

Or have I once again completely misunderstood?
Yes.. it fucks over the 14 clubs that effectively cannot dream of qualifying for the elite euro competition as its a closed shop. It also removes a lot of the competition as the 6 super league clubs know their place is cemented so won't be pulling up any trees around this time of year

why ? It is an open poll
Mainly because it keeps being posted by people then labelling them scum, traitors or cunts, which I believe is also against the CoC.

Basically anyone who's posting the list of names is almost certainly doing so with the intention of causing some sort of trouble or commotion directed at other posters for having an opinion. I can only speak for myself but if I see it I will be removing it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.