Champions League Final | Pre-Match Thread

Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Azpilicueta against Foden thats the place to lookout for. Azpilicueta in the semi final couldnt handle foden when Foden came on only way he dealt with Phil was foul after foul that is a red card waiting to happen. said the same in the chelsea pre match thread.

This is the obvious point of difference, and because of that I don't want Phil to play tomorrow.

Azpilicueta will definitely play the final, the only thing that would stop it is if Phil absolutely rinsed him tomorrow and made it obvious that it would be a car crash.

Tomorrow will be a crazy match. You couldn't have scripted this fixture any better if you tried. Will both sides field their strongest teams, or try to shield their CL Final intentions by resting players & changing formations?

Admittedly we played a weakened team against them in the semi, but make no mistake, Chelsea are strong, organised, motivated, experienced & the real deal.

They looked untroubled by a poorer Real side than we're used to seeing, but looked genuinely dangerous on the attack. Tomorrow will be intriguing. On current form Chelsea are the last team I wanted in the final, however to be the best you have to play & overcome the best. If we play to our full potential, they've got as much to worry about as we have.

My stomach's in knots just thinking about both matches. :-|

I had completely forgotten about this, but I just saw a tweet that reminded me about a chapter in Marti Perarnau’s book Pep Guardiola: The Evolution, about the ending of his time at Bayern, that is basically about how Pep prepared tactically for a final of the German Cup against... Tuchel’s Dortmund*.
There is another chapter about how Pep and Tuchel were good friends and mutual admirers and talked about football constantly in Germany.
I strongly recommend it to everybody

*which ended 0-0 and Bayern won in penalty shootouts

Their first "private" meeting was together with Reschke at a Munich restaurant. Tuchel lived in Munich then - could be that he still has his house there even if his family moved with him to Paris and now to London. It was during Tuchel's sabbatical after coaching Mainz and before he took over in Dortmund.

About that meeting Reschke told in April to German TV channel sport 1 (I try to make an easy translation of an article on the homepage correcting in parts Google translate)

I had an appointment with Thomas that evening," says Reschke, who worked as technical director at FC Bayern in 2015: "In the afternoon I went to Pep's office and said: 'Look out, Pep, I'll meet Thomas Tuchel this evening . Wouldn't you like to join us? '"

Guardiola trained the German record champions at the time - Tuchel took a sabbatical year and soon after became coach of Borussia Dortmund. Guardiola agreed and the legendary evening took its course.

"What was really unbelievable that evening: They talked about games that were five, six, seven years ago and where Thomas really set up the formation that Barcelona played with in the first half with wine glasses and pepper shakers," recalls Reschke: "Then he said to Pep: So and so you played. The wine glasses and pepper shakers were really pushed back and forth. I sat there and thought to myself: 'That can't be true.'"

At that time, Reschke had "vague memories" of some games. But he didn't know the details. "That was insane," he says when he remembers. Then there was a second meeting - in the Brenners, a Munich restaurant. The German trainer Peter Hermann was also there at the time, Reschke recalls:

"Afterwards Peter said to me: 'Michael, that can't be true. I always thought that I knew a lot about football, but what kind of knowledge they both have and how they talk about the games is crazy.' That was something special, Pep's point of view. But also to experience Tuchel. Those were two grenade evenings. "

The 63-year-old even remembers the exact seat in the new SPORT1 podcast Meine Bayern Woche. This was right at the back of the corner so that the group could be a little to themselves: "Pep has always loved corner seats. We always sat in corners and there was nothing in the back. So we could see the whole place."

Over the years, a friendly relationship has developed between Guardiola and Tuchel. In the Premier League, Guardiola (Manchester City) and Tuchel (Chelsea FC) are currently even competing against each other.

Reschke even believes that Tuchel might be Guardiola's successor at Bayern in the future: "There are hardly two opinions that Thomas could have been an interesting coach for Bayern or will one day again."

----------------------------------------------

Tuchel was a big fan favourite for the Bayern job in 2018. I do not know if Bayern was just not fast enough or if they weren't really convinced of him because of his time at Dortmund where he had some problems with the club officials, some players and some press (I guess as a coach you need to learn, too) - but then PSG needed a coach during the season.

Last edited:
8 years ago Dortmund played Bayern 3/4 days after their semi finals against Real/Barcelona. Matchday 32 of 34. Similar situation with the difference that Bayern already was champion and Dortmund already qualified for next season Champions League. So it nearly was a dead rubber, the teams were very exhausted from the CL semi final. The match ended in a 1:1 - a lot of the players rested - it was the only match Bayern drew in the second part of 12/13.

You want to make the match ball - Chelsea is still in the fight for next year's CL spots.

This is the obvious point of difference, and because of that I don't want Phil to play tomorrow.

Azpilicueta will definitely play the final, the only thing that would stop it is if Phil absolutely rinsed him tomorrow and made it obvious that it would be a car crash.

He was doing the same against Real Madrid. He rushes out, nudges, kicks and essentially runs into the opponent until the ball goes out of play or the player passes elsewhere. He'll start the final I'm sure just because of his experience compared to James. But Foden should be under instruction to turn him early and any touch go down like he's shot to get him booked. He'll have to calm it then and he's got no chance of defending Phil if he's having to sit off for fear of another booking.

He very much goes about things how Ferny does. Street smart and knows how to get away with fouls that don't meet the yellow card threshold. I think Ferny got away with it on Tuesday because when PSG forced the ref into the penalty, and he saw how it clearly wasn't, he knew they would be in his ear all game so decided to ignore nearly everything they appealed for.

He was doing the same against Real Madrid. He rushes out, nudges, kicks and essentially runs into the opponent until the ball goes out of play or the player passes elsewhere. He'll start the final I'm sure just because of his experience compared to James. But Foden should be under instruction to turn him early and any touch go down like he's shot to get him booked. He'll have to calm it then and he's got no chance of defending Phil if he's having to sit off for fear of another booking.

He very much goes about things how Ferny does. Street smart and knows how to get away with fouls that don't meet the yellow card threshold. I think Ferny got away with it on Tuesday because when PSG forced the ref into the penalty, and he saw how it clearly wasn't, he knew they would be in his ear all game so decided to ignore nearly everything they appealed for.

What Fern did really well on Tuesday is he started fouling when the referee had bottled the PSG red cards for Verratti and the others.

Because the referee can't give you a yellow when a harder foul 2 minutes ago wasn't a 2nd yellow for Verratti, it shifts the frame of reference.

23 days to go.
23rd major trophy (if we win Pl) for City
23rd different team to win the EC/CL if we win it.

It's written in the stars. We're going to do it..

This...And the last 7 teams to qualify for the final for the first time have lost. We would be the 8th. But 8 is a special number in our history reserved for Colin Bell and we'll be lucky number 8 with him looking down on us. 23 is a poignant number for the club as well.

The list is (most recent first):
2020 - PSG
2019 - Tottenham
2008 - Chelsea
2006 - Arsenal
2004 - Monaco
2002 - Bayer Leverkusen
2000 - Valencia

Last edited:
This...And the last 7 teams to qualify for the final for the first time have lost. We would be the 8th. But 8 is a special number in our history reserved for Colin Bell and we'll be lucky number 8 with him looking down on us. 23 is a poignant number for the club as well.

The list is (most recent first):
2020 - PSG
2019 - Tottenham
2008 - Chelsea
2006 - Arsenal
2004 - Porto
2002 - Bayer Leverkusen
2000 - Valencia

Porto won in 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.