Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

My problem with tonight was because It was a missed opportunity and probably completely avoidable. I think we will eventually win this cup but I wanted it tonight.. when we are genuinely the best side in Europe. Pep kinda stole that from us, he overthought it.

Apologies for the essay, needed to occupy myself after the game.

Last nights performance personified the issues that have been creeping in for a season or so. We are a team of gifted players, bur bar KDB most of our major match winners have been replaced by supporting cast. We lack match winners in key positions against top teams, we lack physical speed and mobility in central area's and we have no focal point which, when we don't have the ball for 70 of the 90 minutes, means we do not convert possession to goals at the rate we sometimes need.

Our recruitment has not acknowledged key weaknesses and a focus on technical ability has overbalanced the squad with potentially the best group of water carriers ever ensembled. It's may be an old fashioned concept but speed vital in the game, it is an asset we lack in 9 of 10 positions. Pep's best City team IMO had a fresher KDB, Ferna a few years lighter in the legs, plus Sane and Sterling in form. All mobile and technical. Central forward height is also massively useful to turn possession into chances when facing a team of organised quality defenders. I think the speed which our best players came has caused a massive issue as we try to replace them slower to create a better flow of top players out the door, but its tough to watch as it feel like we are not proactive V's (hopefully) securing years at the top if they can realise we must have better balance.

I mention this because I believe the team performed better this year than they should. Pep made changes to the pace the team moved forward, as well as to the amount of creative freedom. We saw the ball being recycled even more and players berated for poor turnovers or bad decision in the final third. All to limit turnovers and reduce the amount of counters we faced. Dias helped and pulled the defence together and suddenly we believed. Others had issue's and we went on an incredible run that will define this season more than one loss ever could. Pep should be praised for this alteration of style it is unlike him to restrict the players in the last phase of play but this year he altered for the good of City.

Still Pep has made some shocking calls in the past against teams we could of steam rolled, just like our players he seems to have mental block in the latter stages of the Champions League. Last night was different. Last night City came up against their Kryptonite a team we had lost to recently, who felt they had the beating of us. Managed by a top manager, organising them and playing a system that nullifies the false 9. A team wounded from a defeat in a cup Vs a team that has played 5 truly competitive games in weeks and IMO hasn't looked at its best for a couple of months. Most importantly they didn't seem burdened by the need to win the Champions League they wanted it but it didn't own them and our team seem over awed in several games in the Champs league. Dortmund was tougher than it should of been, a 17 year old ran parts of the game. PSG 1st leg 1st half was a nervy affair. This game amplified those nerves a 100 times.

Last night I think Pep knew Chelsea would bypass the CDM with pace and passing as they have against both Rodri and Fernandinho already this year. So he removed them in hope of having one more creative player to overload the back 5. Something we have massively struggled with on several occasions. It didn't work. However putting a CDM in last night would not of seen us give the ball away less freely due to the nerves. It wouldn't of stopped Werner's pace scaring us and allowing him to run Dias 5 yards too deep instead of stepping up at the key moment, and it likely wouldn't of prevented Mount sending in a great ball to a run that should been tracked better.
As for the inclusion of Sterling his pace made sense to allow an out ball compensating for the lack of a central striker. Unfortunately without the ball on a plate in front of goal weekly he has been found wanting as a top, top player. He needs constant management to keep his confidence high and seems to over think almost everything. It's a shame his instincts are as sharp as his brain as I believe he's a very intelligent guy trying to implement the managers plan who just doesn't have the cutting edge needed to carry this team as is needed.

All said, Chelsea beat us because their system works against ours, we may be the better team over a season and the varying levels of opposition, but head to head they have the beating of us right now.

Still despite the negativity a loss breeds, we have had an amazing year. Seen some great football, dominated possession in a way others haven't done in the PL before, and all without a CF. Foden looks like everything we dreamed and he is one of our own, his goal against Dortmund in the 1st leg after a few missed chances gives me all the hope in the world for him, that was a winners reaction.

Next time....it will be ours.

CTID
If that works, why didn’t we bypass kante who was the best player on the pitch

I'm not saying to sack Pep. Just can't get my head round it.

Does anyone else think Klopp would bench Mane or Salah and play someone completely out of form instead? Or if Tuchel had dropped Kante?

Why the fuck does Pep do it?
Pep's approach tonight was "put as many attackers on and put it to bed quick then go defensive". Problem is Chelsea went 5 and the back with 2 holding midfielders. One of which is the best in world football so Tuchel just set them up to play on the counter and ping balls down the wings dragging our centre backs out wide leving massive holes in the box. Just like United do, another team Pep struggles with who we should be better than. He develops a mental block when teams sit back and hit on the counter.

I don't know if it helps people sleep by blaming Sterling but maybe the fact that he didn't pick himself, he didn't change the way we play in the most high pressure games we have played. Nerves were already going to play a huge part and it was decided we would add to that by playing a system with no Ferna who besides being one of best players is also the leader of this team. Pep placed doubt in every players mind by changing things instead of just letting them play in the way they are comfortable. If you need someone to blame Sterling should be way down the list he was one of our better players in the first half.
Sterling was put out to dry.

If only we had Gio , all of best players did fuck all ( been great all season ) fair play to Tuchel

The "pep out" brigade. You are a bundle of cunts, go fuck yourselves!

Players were trusted to do a job and because they didn't its ALL peps fault, never the players. AS FUCKING USUAL.

FUCK OFF
Nobody is saying OUT....but an apology for selecting the wrong team might be appropriate Y/N ?

Rodri and Fern started the FAC match v Chelsea....

I think you're all daft, there's no knowing what a different lineup would have made. We could have lost by more, then we'd be asking why he didn't try something different
With the formation he picked they looked disjointed from the start, the team he picked had never played before together and in 60 of the 61 games they played this season before the final one or both had started...was it the game to try something new?

Delete the last line, it’s sounds too Scouse.
Won't delete it - try to reword it ......................
"So next year we will have another attempt"
Hang on, that sounds a bit like the raggies
How about "Heads high BLUES, we have lots to be proud of"

Apologies for the essay, needed to occupy myself after the game.

Last nights performance personified the issues that have been creeping in for a season or so. We are a team of gifted players, bur bar KDB most of our major match winners have been replaced by supporting cast. We lack match winners in key positions against top teams, we lack physical speed and mobility in central area's and we have no focal point which, when we don't have the ball for 70 of the 90 minutes, means we do not convert possession to goals at the rate we sometimes need.

Our recruitment has not acknowledged key weaknesses and a focus on technical ability has overbalanced the squad with potentially the best group of water carriers ever ensembled. It's may be an old fashioned concept but speed vital in the game, it is an asset we lack in 9 of 10 positions. Pep's best City team IMO had a fresher KDB, Ferna a few years lighter in the legs, plus Sane and Sterling in form. All mobile and technical. Central forward height is also massively useful to turn possession into chances when facing a team of organised quality defenders. I think the speed which our best players came has caused a massive issue as we try to replace them slower to create a better flow of top players out the door, but its tough to watch as it feel like we are not proactive V's (hopefully) securing years at the top if they can realise we must have better balance.

I mention this because I believe the team performed better this year than they should. Pep made changes to the pace the team moved forward, as well as to the amount of creative freedom. We saw the ball being recycled even more and players berated for poor turnovers or bad decision in the final third. All to limit turnovers and reduce the amount of counters we faced. Dias helped and pulled the defence together and suddenly we believed. Others had issue's and we went on an incredible run that will define this season more than one loss ever could. Pep should be praised for this alteration of style it is unlike him to restrict the players in the last phase of play but this year he altered for the good of City.

Still Pep has made some shocking calls in the past against teams we could of steam rolled, just like our players he seems to have mental block in the latter stages of the Champions League. Last night was different. Last night City came up against their Kryptonite a team we had lost to recently, who felt they had the beating of us. Managed by a top manager, organising them and playing a system that nullifies the false 9. A team wounded from a defeat in a cup Vs a team that has played 5 truly competitive games in weeks and IMO hasn't looked at its best for a couple of months. Most importantly they didn't seem burdened by the need to win the Champions League they wanted it but it didn't own them and our team seem over awed in several games in the Champs league. Dortmund was tougher than it should of been, a 17 year old ran parts of the game. PSG 1st leg 1st half was a nervy affair. This game amplified those nerves a 100 times.

Last night I think Pep knew Chelsea would bypass the CDM with pace and passing as they have against both Rodri and Fernandinho already this year. So he removed them in hope of having one more creative player to overload the back 5. Something we have massively struggled with on several occasions. It didn't work. However putting a CDM in last night would not of seen us give the ball away less freely due to the nerves. It wouldn't of stopped Werner's pace scaring us and allowing him to run Dias 5 yards too deep instead of stepping up at the key moment, and it likely wouldn't of prevented Mount sending in a great ball to a run that should been tracked better.
As for the inclusion of Sterling his pace made sense to allow an out ball compensating for the lack of a central striker. Unfortunately without the ball on a plate in front of goal weekly he has been found wanting as a top, top player. He needs constant management to keep his confidence high and seems to over think almost everything. It's a shame his instincts are as sharp as his brain as I believe he's a very intelligent guy trying to implement the managers plan who just doesn't have the cutting edge needed to carry this team as is needed.

All said, Chelsea beat us because their system works against ours, we may be the better team over a season and the varying levels of opposition, but head to head they have the beating of us right now.

Still despite the negativity a loss breeds, we have had an amazing year. Seen some great football, dominated possession in a way others haven't done in the PL before, and all without a CF. Foden looks like everything we dreamed and he is one of our own, his goal against Dortmund in the 1st leg after a few missed chances gives me all the hope in the world for him, that was a winners reaction.

Next time....it will be ours.

CTID
Agree with everything you said..

Reactions: Pam

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.