Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

Not just the selecion the whole tactics were wrong. Even with the correct/expected line up we were failing here, if he was tinkering the problem was he was not tinkering enough and we should have matched them imo with same 3 man defence and wingbacks to balance out the advantage they had with the ball. And then if we can keep it at 0-0 for 60-70 min then bring on some attacking subs, fresh legs and have a go at it.

Get Laporte on for Bernardo and go from there it should have been changed at around 30 min at still 0-0.

Still it made not much sense to use Gundo as DM, as he offered no more going forward than Rodri would have offered but also failed to give same presence front on the CB's who clearly were surprised that now they have to look out for bigger area to defend front of them which in fact was one of the main reason our defence improved this season, not that high line like earlier season and smaller area to be responsible for as Rodri/dinho doing a great job front of them 90% of time, and also lot of workrate from attacking players who can press from the front but also start pressing from deeper depending on opponent.

Chelsea's eary chances were a sign to change we were lucky Werner could not connect with his first big chance while only managed a quite easy shot for Ederson to save but if there is a top striker there we could have 2-0 down in like 25 min and all we had in balance is a Foden shot which was blocked not even a shot on target.

We were not struggling because for the personnel but because of the formation which was the same 433 but of course a real DM would have added bit more calmness to CB's still Tuchel system was simply better on the night.

Probably the changes to line up confused our players more than them. Based on how it panned out imo we would have lost too with the PSG line up, as PSG played a way different style than Chelsea and what worked there would have not worked here.

We should have taken much more notice of what went down in the FA cup semis and the league game vs Chelsea as the signs for there to learn from. we were to happy to say ohh it was not our best line up, losses does not matter it mattered a lot both tactically and mentally, they had the upper hand knowing they beat us recently 2 times.

If we dont collapse in the league game maybe it would have caused later on Chelsea to finish 5th and then playing the CL final extra additional risk of not being in CL for next year. that is certainly not something that would have made them stronger on the night and maybe extra stake would made some extra fear to creep into them.

That Aguero failed Panenka was horrible not because we did not win the league that day but because it gave the chance for Chelsea for finish top4 and have the experience of beating us again.

That Panenka also was holding more meaning, it was kind of arrogance, which pushed Chelsea on ok so thats what you think about us, now we will show you...

If we beat them heavily on that game when they were still in huge fight for top4 it might have made Tuchel to double think for the final and might have tinkered with his system.
I’ve been saying the same about that penalty. Maybe why Aguero got no look in at the final. It was big mistake not to bury that and get the upper hand psychologically.

Every time Pep has needlessly messed around with the team in the CL, ending in disaster, it’s been against teams we were strong favourites to beat

obviously there’s not many matches we’re underdogs in but off the top of my head I’ll pick out Napoli away, Madrid last season and PSG this season

in all those games I’m fairly sure he picked our strongest team instead of worrying about the opposition.. and in every one of those games we came out on top with a wonderful performance

A great post, and I agree with it all, except the bit about the emission of Fern or Rodri. Fern would be my choice.
That was the most important position on the pitch, we allowed Kante to dominate the midfield, totally un challenged, he chose the tempo, he controlled the game, he drove them forward and helped in defence, the exact job that Fern does for us, they played one of the best covering midfielders in the world and we didn't.
Fernandinho agreed as above and also experience and leadership. He made a difference when he came on. Should have started - no excuse not to play him.

Same as mate, the club and the fans turned up big time for this, no doubt about it. Sorry to say Pep and the players didn't. The reasons can be debated all day long, team selection, set up etc. However, the no show was pathetic tbh. This was the CL final for fucks sake and their goalkeeper might as well have not stepped foot on the pitch. Ridiculous performance.
Well said mate. Surprised their keeper stayed awake.

CA
De Bruynes injury forced his hand. It led to Gundog playing the best football of his time here. Nothing to do with Peps managerial skills ,he got lucky. To play gundog where he did at the expense of Fern in a champions league final just to shoehorn a horribly out of form Sterling into the team was pathetic management. Then compound it by doing nothing when they were cutting through us at will only added to his folly.

Can't disagree with this,...brain fart of the highest order.

When last did we play with out a pivot? Somehow Pep decides to try it the most important game of the season.

Feel even worse today about it. I'd got over it temporarily but it's back again. Maybe too much overthinking like Pep. QPR at home might have to be watched later if this continues.

I keep replaying Chelsea goal in my head and still cant believe there isn't a Rodri or Fernandinho there stopping the pass, or forcing the pass to be played high over the players heads straight into eddy.

I keeping thinking I have seen it wrong ! Abit like the Aguerooooooooo goal back than, kept watching thinking Sergio is going to miss !

My brain cant compute it.

Getting madder by the day to be honest which is unlike me , wasnt bothered on the night. But its eating away at me , just why Pep ?

De Bruynes injury forced his hand. It led to Gundog playing the best football of his time here. Nothing to do with Peps managerial skills ,he got lucky. To play gundog where he did at the expense of Fern in a champions league final just to shoehorn a horribly out of form Sterling into the team was pathetic management. Then compound it by doing nothing when they were cutting through us at will only added to his folly.
I didn't expect Fern to start - I expected him to come on at some point in the second half. I've been saying for years that Gundo is the identikit Pep player -skillset-wise and knows the role expected of him inside out. But many on here have never appreciated what he does until this season. While not many fans would have picked an out of form Raheem and would have preferred Fern or Rodri to start, we don't see the guys in training. Maybe it was emotional selection - we don't know. But whatever the reason, the accusation of pathetic management has no substance.

Hindsight?

It wasn't hindsight.....as soon as that team went up,the outcome was predictable.I literally went from total confidence to little faith in an instant.

The players played poorly,but they were set up to do so.

It was an unnecessary and baffling fuck up,similar to those on previous big occasions,and the ones we thought he would learn from and not repeat.....
spot on .

Greatest manager we've ever had but I don't think we would have had that Agueroooooo moment if Pep was the manager back in 2012. The magnitude of that occasion would probably get him stuck in another one of his "analysis" loop and we would end up putting out an 11 that would have you scratching your head.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.