Liverpool thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed they do. Yes there are many that build people up to be so much more than they are. There are though very few who can then live up to that hype, VVD being one of them.
You then have people with short memories or with a complete lack of awareness of "istree".
VVD may have been good in previous seasons, he may get back to that previous form, but there is also the possibility that he may never be the player he was. Down through the years there have been promising players (Brian Clough) and proven stars (Colin Bell) who have had bad injuries and have never been able to re-capture those highs/standards.

What VVD did in past seasons, Dias has taken on. Shown how a classy defender can shape your team, give them confidence and allow them to play more. Dias, in my view, head a shoulders above the rest and clear and worthy winner this year.
With that injury and turning 30 this summer, it is a fairly safe bet that he will never be the same player again

Indeed they do. Yes there are many that build people up to be so much more than they are. There are though very few who can then live up to that hype, VVD being one of them.
You then have people with short memories or with a complete lack of awareness of "istree".
VVD may have been good in previous seasons, he may get back to that previous form, but there is also the possibility that he may never be the player he was. Down through the years there have been promising players (Brian Clough) and proven stars (Colin Bell) who have had bad injuries and have never been able to re-capture those highs/standards.

What VVD did in past seasons, Dias has taken on. Shown how a classy defender can shape your team, give them confidence and allow them to play more. Dias, in my view, head a shoulders above the rest and clear and worthy winner this year.
I agree with most of what you say other than your Brian Clough reference. I think a guy who scored over 250 goals in 275 matches is a little bit more than just a promising player.

Wow! Genuinely never come across a Liverpool fan with an unbiased view.

Liverpool will be the most interesting team to watch next season for me. Obviously they had the injuries to contend with last season, but I’m not sure I buy into the theory most Liverpool fans seem to have that an injury free season will lead to an easy title and knocking on the door of 100 points again. I still think Klopp works his teams very hard and with a smaller squad, burnout is a real issue.

We have a transfer window to go, and if Klopp refreshes the squad sufficiently on a budget and Liverpool did have a season like that, it would be a minor miracle. It would certainly impress me more than anything else he has achieved.
And you still haven't!
When it comes to matches I am still (mostly) as blinkered as any...its just on other matters I think their needs to be some perspective.
I agree with your view...it is in no way going to be easy even if everyone is fit. Like football has done throughout the years, the game evolves and teams managers and teams have to evolve. Of course I want Liverpool to be up there challenging and just hope that FSG realise that unless we invest we are not standing still, we are going backwards. Sadly I cannot see FSG stumping up for major "stars" and those that think we would have any chance of attracting (or paying for) the likes of Kane/Haaland/Mbappe are living in cloud cuckoo land. I just have to trust that Klopp knows what he is doing and has a little "Pep pragmatism"
I agree with most of what you say other than your Brian Clough reference. I think a guy who scored over 250 goals in 275 matches is a little bit more than just a promising player.
Apologies, perhaps the wrong use of word....a career cut short maybe better
He was still very young.
Steady Mr V ...it almost sounded like you were defending a dipper!!!!

Surgery has moved on a lot since then. When we bought Gundogan, he'd just recovered from a similar injury and he's given us five seasons since then and is hardly ever injured. What might happen is something of a stop-start season next year, which is what happened to Gundogan when he first came back. But Leroy Sane had a year out and this season played 44 times.

Surgery has moved on a lot since then. When we bought Gundogan, he'd just recovered from a similar injury and he's given us five seasons since then and is hardly ever injured. What might happen is something of a stop-start season next year, which is what happened to Gundogan when he first came back. But Leroy Sane had a year out and this season played 44 times.

Good points but both the City lads where alot younger than VVD. Age might not be a good thing but who knows. Time will tell.

Good points but both the City lads where alot younger than VVD. Age might not be a good thing but who knows. Time will tell.
The human body is a strange thing and it is amazing how similar injuries can afflict people. You simply dont know how long some will take to recover, if at all.
You look at the likes of Ledley King whose knees were wrecked and yet he continued to perform to a high standard (relative to being a Spurs player!)
In the case of VVD it could well be his age that is the biggest factor. At the time of their injuries Gundogan / Sane were both younger.
It's funny (or not really in this sense), that these posts made me think about career ending injuries and whilst never a good/nice thing at least the players of today will usually be set for life anyway. That then had me thinking of all those younger players in years gone by who weren't on the money the blokes today are on and so would never be comfortable after having their careers cut short...and then all those at lower levels who have their dreams taken away and have little to no financial security.

The human body is a strange thing and it is amazing how similar injuries can afflict people. You simply dont know how long some will take to recover, if at all.
It might take longer for VVD to recover because he -like the rest of your bigger players- has been flogged mercilessly by Klopp. When the human anatomy is being pushed to its physical extreme on such a regular basis, as your first-team players have been, injuries are naturally more likely to occur. Recovery could take a long time, and there is the danger that the demented cheerleader will bring him back way too soon and thus end the man's career permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.