Climate Change is here and man made

The quickest and easiest impact we could make almost overnight would be to impose shipping regulations on the massive container ships.

something like the 16 largest container ships give off more pollution than every car combined, this is mostly down to there being no regulations on international waters about what fuel can be used so they all use cheap shit fuel that kicks out insane levels of pollution.

That being said, there is no easy fix here overall. its been proven there is pretty much zero chance the global population will work together on it.

I personally see our only realistic way out of climate change is by getting Fusion power up and running asap and making sure that no one company/country can hold that technology to ransom and its available to all countries.

that would be abundant clean cheap power for all, and even have entire banks of them powering atmosphere scrubbing to try to reverse the damage we have made.

While waiting for Fusion we need to hit Solar/Wind + gravity power stores hard.

Gravity power stores are really needed for things like Solar / Wind as they are not constant. it uses the excess power produced when sunny/windy and in effect stores that energy by lifting heavy blocks using that power. then using gravity to turn turbines when no sun/wind. there are hydro dams that do this already but new Dam's are not easy and can be very damaging in there own right.

Example of gravity storage.
wow quite unbelievable really

For some insight into these issues and whats being done/the gravity I would suggest a couple of good documentaries for people:

Racing Extinction

Chasing Coral

It might bring a bit of perspective to a few in this thread who don't seem to think 'it's such a big issue'.

Look, what you or I do personally with respect to climate change is going to make fuck all difference. I venture to say unless you have a daughter called Greta then what anyone who come into contact with, will make fuck all difference either. It is what it is. What is going to unfold, is going to unfold no matter what you want to say or do.

Now, you can either (a) spend the rest of your life being miserable and worrying about the end of the world, something you can do nothing about. Or (b) - as I do - do your bit, make positive changes where you can, and think that maybe just maybe things won't turn out as badly as many predict. I am actually very positive about the outlook for future generations. I think we will see incredible advances in technology and the world will be an immeasurably better place with fewer wars, less disease, fewer premature deaths and technology beyond our wildest dreams. I think the effects of climate change will be far less catastrophic than the many hyperbolic projections suggest. Maybe I am wrong. But I would rather spend my life being positive that being depressed.

Climate change is clearly an issue and the last few months seem to have caught everyone’s attention. I don‘t get the denialism anymore that I get Covid denialism because why wouldn’t it be in our interests in seeking to ‘green’ the economy and our energy use irrespective of the risk of climate change.

It’s like wearing a quality mask in a crowded enclosed space during a pandemic. You may or may not catch Covid if you went mask less, but why risk it?

Same with climate change, pumping pollutants into the planet may or may not cause climate change, but it definitely isn’t healthy for us so why risk it? What is the argument for carrying on and doing nothing? Should we pump out more pollutants and live in a sewer? Are denialists against clean air, and for putting lead in petrol and drinking murky water?

On my account I was referring to domestic electricity use, total, which has fallen despite more households and a bigger population. This doesn’t include most of our heat and transport which are the two sectors where less progress has been made.

My general point is that by pushing the message that nothing has been done we’re ignoring a lot of good progress. We should look at what has worked and do more of it. This progress has been fairly painless for society and is a good message to sell future progress. This is a contrast to the “we’ve done nothing and need to stop heating our houses and going on holiday” type argument that is too often employed and amplified by the media, which is actually a sure fire way to turn many people against taking action.
We certainly have made progress, but not enough. Newer tech is much more efficient (in most cases). We just seem to have more of it. 40 years ago we had a single TV and top loading VCR and a hifi system in our house, plus a washing machine, a hoover and a couple of lamps (along with the main lights) that were regularly plugged in. Now I haven't got enough sockets for all the sh*t we have in our house.

Look, what you or I do personally with respect to climate change is going to make fuck all difference. I venture to say unless you have a daughter called Greta then what anyone who come into contact with, will make fuck all difference either. It is what it is. What is going to unfold, is going to unfold no matter what you want to say or do.

Now, you can either (a) spend the rest of your life being miserable and worrying about the end of the world, something you can do nothing about. Or (b) - as I do - do your bit, make positive changes where you can, and think that maybe just maybe things won't turn out as badly as many predict. I am actually very positive about the outlook for future generations. I think we will see incredible advanced in technology and the world will be an immeasurably better place with fewer wars, less disease, fewer premature deaths and technology beyond our wildest dreams. Maybe I am wrong. But I would rather spend my life being positive that being depressed.

If you'd read my post history you'd have a greater understanding of what "doing my bit is".

I'll heading to Glasgow in November for a start with XR and Animal Rebellion to be heavily involved in a lot of the organisation of the protests.

Mate, none of us want to be negative - but we are fighting for something bigger than a of us here. If you want to be optimistic all power to you - but it's clear to most of us nowhere near enough is being done and the public has to put more pressure on government. I think it's naive to say there will be "less disease" when most scientists predict the next pandemic to be closer between drinks between the last few and that is in a large part due to how much we are encroaching on nature.

Looking at years in isolate provides absolutely zero value mate, this is about a year in year assessment. The planet is heating up and it's clear what the cause is.

Go back through this post and have a look into the history books and it's well documented that oil companies and the fossil fuel industgry deliberatly downplayed the impact humans were having for years. It started aggressively in the 90s and basically put us back a few decades.
I agree its heating up but the consequences are what needs to be discussed both good and bad its not all bad Bazz.

I agree China's emissions are a problem for the climate and I suggest that is where we need some focus on.

But I ask you do you wish 1 billion of them stay in poverty and deny them what your ancestors were part of.

A bit selfish don't you think?

I remember the greenhouse effect getting taught at school 30 years ago, since then the UK has significantly reduced CO2 emissions, and completely cut emissions of some other gases that affect climate (CFCs, etc.). Furthermore, the UK has built several of the worlds largest offshore wind farms, numerous storage projects, brought in regulation to limit and eventually ban emissions from cars, and more. In addition, household energy use has been falling for the last 15ish years on the back of better insulation and energy saving technology like LEDs.

I understand people want to push back against outright sceptics but this idea that there is an emergency that has been wilfully ignored, with nothing done, for 30 years is nonsense. Massive progress has already been made although much is left to be done.

We could decide to stop using all carbon based fuels within five years, of course, if we want to follow the lead of extinction rebellion and the like. However, this would mean massive loss of life when winter comes, a massive collapse of the economy, and probably chaos that causes more emissions than before.

Changing a nation’s entire energy system is a large and complex undertaking. The current system we have took many, many decades to construct. This isn’t largely about the will to change, but is more about the how to change without breaking what we all depend on everyday to keep us alive.
That's some fair points you've made and there's no doubt we've done our bit over the last 20 or 30 years. It doesn't mean that we don't have to step it up even more along with the rest of the world. As someone else has already said, our efforts alone will be meaningless unless there is a concerted global approach with the five largest countries taking a full active role in reducing their carbon emissions.

Climate change is clearly an issue and the last few months seem to have caught everyone’s attention. I don‘t get the denialism anymore that I get Covid denialism because why wouldn’t it be in our interests in seeking to ‘green’ the economy and our energy use irrespective of the risk of climate change.

It’s like wearing a quality mask in a crowded enclosed space during a pandemic. You may or may not catch Covid if you went mask less, but why risk it?

Same with climate change, pumping pollutants into the planet may or may not cause climate change, but it definitely isn’t healthy for us so why risk it? What is the argument for carrying on and doing nothing? Should we pump out more pollutants and live in a sewer? Are denialists against clean air, and for putting lead in petrol and drinking murky water?
I think you'll find that the climate change deniers are largely the same people as the Covid deniers. Thankfully Covid is doing its best to deplete their numbers.

That's a fair post. Not specifically warming related as you point out, but concerning nevertheless. The decline in bee and butterfly populations just here in the UK is all too obvious.

But I don't extrapolate it to unavoidable Armageddon. Faced with either (a) extinction or (b) figuring out how to artificially pollinate crops, I would imagine we can think of something over the next century.
The crazy thing about it is we see XR and all the others marching day by day but they have the wrong answers to the wrong questions. They want us to do something now about changes to global temperature and let's say we did, great. What do we do though whilst we are still converting land to farms, fields to houses etc? The worlds population will hit 10 billion over the next 20 years, where are these people going to live and what are they going to eat?

There's a reason all of this is happening and it purely comes down to the fact that humans exist. We can't do anything about that and it's not exactly a mainstream argument to limit the number of children that people can have or to halt any growth in consumption by banning consumption.

Boris is going on about moving us towards electric cars for example but that just moves the goalposts to another form of consumer consumption which has different implications for the environment compared to petrol cars. Electric cars still necessitate roads, they still require factories and they still therefore contribute to the problem no differently. Increase the population by 10% in 15 years and the impact is absolutely the same as petrol cars.

Eventually in 100 years time this question won't be about banning cars, instead it will be about whether we should ban people from eating today because we don't have enough food... That sounds insane but that's where we are headed. The climate emergency thing is a bit of a joke compared to the real emergency that's happening and we don't even know about it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.