Climate Change is here and man made

Climate change is clearly an issue and the last few months seem to have caught everyone’s attention. I don‘t get the denialism anymore that I get Covid denialism because why wouldn’t it be in our interests in seeking to ‘green’ the economy and our energy use irrespective of the risk of climate change.

It’s like wearing a quality mask in a crowded enclosed space during a pandemic. You may or may not catch Covid if you went mask less, but why risk it?

Same with climate change, pumping pollutants into the planet may or may not cause climate change, but it definitely isn’t healthy for us so why risk it? What is the argument for carrying on and doing nothing? Should we pump out more pollutants and live in a sewer? Are denialists against clean air, and for putting lead in petrol and drinking murky water?
I think that's too simplistic, Bob. I don't know of anyone who is a denialist to the extent that they deny there is no climate change and nothing should be done. I am sure there are a few who believe that, but like 99.99% of people - me included - recognise it is an issue and that steps must be taken. And I agree with you, you'd have to be a bit of lunatic to favour pumping out more pollution. Only lunatics would support such an idea.

But it is more nuanced and it's important to avoid knee-jerk reactions. Is cutting down rainforest in order to grow crops to make bio-diesel a good idea? How about the immeasurable damage to the environment being done in order to extract lithium for the huge demand for lithium car batteries?

Yes, which is what the fucking report focused on and gave its findings on.

If its a fucking report I gather you haven't read it yet or understood it and looked at its findings on cyclones , fires , number of extreme weather events , Co2 impacts , CH4 impacts , food production , sea levels , agriculture and the list goes on.

the findings on a range of climate issues are not definitive but I like the positive impacts on the planet that warming it states assists in achieving as well.

I suggest you read it SWP before click baiting others all the time that at least have a genuine interest in the subject.

That's some fair points you've made and there's no doubt we've done our bit over the last 20 or 30 years. It doesn't mean that we don't have to step it up even more along with the rest of the world. As someone else has already said, our efforts alone will be meaningless unless there is a concerted global approach with the five largest countries taking a full active role in reducing their carbon emissions.
Very true, and as a bit of context: if the UK ended all emissions today, in about two years Chinese emissions would’ve increased enough to offset all the benefit, based on their current trend.

Eventually in 100 years time this question won't be about banning cars, instead it will be about whether we should ban people from eating today because we don't have enough food... That sounds insane but that's where we are headed.
Many models predict the global population stabilizing at around 11 billion and that we will be able to sustainably feed a population of that size. Again, being positive, I'd like to think they are right. I cannot do anything to change it anyway.

I think that's too simplistic, Bob. I don't know of anyone who is a denialist to the extent that they deny there is no climate change and nothing should be done. I am sure there are a few who believe that, but like 99.99% of people - me included - recognise it is an issue and that steps must be taken. And I agree with you, you'd have to be a bit of lunatic to favour pumping out more pollution. Only lunatics would support such an idea.

But it is more nuanced and it's important to avoid knee-jerk reactions. Is cutting down rainforest in order to grow crops to make bio-diesel a good idea? How about the immeasurable damage to the environment being done in order to extract lithium for the huge demand for lithium car batteries?
There's no nuance needed here, chopping down more rainforests is fucking idiotic considering the destructions thats already taken place

Very true, and as a bit of context: if the UK ended all emissions today, in about two years Chinese emissions would’ve increased enough to offset all the benefit, based on their current trend.
Yep. I pointed out similar some weeks back.

There's no nuance needed here, chopping down more rainforests is fucking idiotic considering the destructions thats already taken place
Agreed, but perhaps you missed my point: It has been done in order to grow bio-diesel, demand for which is fuelled (no pun intended) by western governments seeking to drive down their CO2 emissions. Idiotic behaviour all around, perhaps best intentioned, but idiotic nevertheless.

Similar paradoxes exist with electric cars, which actually may never reduce CO2 output at all, but which are doing terrible damage to the environment through the mining of lithium. Knee jerk reactions and public brainwashing in perfect harmony.

Agreed, but perhaps you missed my point: It has been done in order to grow bio-diesel, demand for which is fuelled (no pun intended) by western governments seeking to drive down their CO2 emissions. Idiotic behaviour all around, perhaps best intentioned, but idiotic nevertheless.

Similar paradoxes exist with electric cars, which actually may never reduce CO2 output at all, but which are doing terrible damage to the environment through the mining of lithium. Knee jerk reactions and public brainwashing in perfect harmony.

Fwiw electric cars and the like are red herrings.

We need change in diet and a focus on re wilding, changes to housing etc.

These are more important than trying to get electric cars out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.