Defensive Midfielder

argyle

I think, like the left back position, this is an area we needed to prioritise.

For all the money spent we are relying on a 36 Fernandinho, amazing as he has been.

Still big question marks for me over Rodri. I feel when under pressure from being pressed, or when we lose the ball up top, he comes up short.

No idea who but then that's what we pay scouts for?

I think, like the left back position, this is an area we needed to prioritise.

For all the money spent we are relying on a 36 Fernandinho, amazing as he has been.

Still big question marks for me over Rodri. I feel when under pressure from being pressed, or when we lose the ball up top, he comes up short.

No idea who but then that's what we pay scouts for?
Rodri is a class act but for this league has issues in terms of athleticism.

Gundo outstanding player but getting no younger and another that lacks athleticism.

KDB world class, but misses chunks of the season with injury.

Bernardo sadly looks like he wants out.

Fern a complete legend but he is finished, sad but true.

But is Pep planning on using Grealish in the middle of the park?? He has the ability, athleticism, personality and nasty streak to be a huge player there in time.

It would be great to have an athletic dm but other priorities need addressed first.

Our problems stem from the wings. The wide players are not effective. We lose the ball in or around the oppositions penalty area and within 2/3 passes they end up with goal scoring opportunity.

A prime Fern could not fix this issue. It’s no wonder the defence looks all over the place and the midfield is bypassed.

Ball retention is a necessity in the pep system. The match yesterday was full of passing errors which led to our downfall.

What’s the answer? Stop relying so heavily on the wings to create next to nothing. Work on how we deal with the counter. Defenders and midfielders running back to goal is a recipe for disaster. Oh and stop playing Mendy.

I'm a massive fan of Rodri - I think his 1v1 battling/tackling, strength, aerial ability and ball retention are superb but he doesn't have the legs to get around the pitch. At the same time, I don't think that's a necessity like most other fans - if he improves his anticipation then he won't need to be chasing the back of somebody's shirt on most counter attacks.

I think that'll come with time.

If we are losing two or three players, then let’s see Doyle and Lavia on the bench for games like Norwich at home. We’re not going to buy a defensive midfielder this window, probably not this season, so let’s get some meaningful game time in those two, especially Lavia.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.