Defensive Midfielder

Think pep could make a really good holding mid out of cancelo. But still think rodri will be absolutely class for us. Its about the other players keeping the ball better and not exposing him to counter attacks.

Flap flap flap. We have played one league game! We unlike most other teams had almost the full squad on international duty, and a large number went deep into the competitions. Pep has given the squad a break for as long as possible to ensure we don’t burn out later in the season, I don’t necessarily think it was the right thing to do this season but that’s what has happened. Fern is 36 and he is not yet fit, you could tell, Rodders has only been back 2 weeks. We don’t need a DM this season we just need to get up to speed. Now left back is more of a priority, as I think Mendy will just not get back his form after the injuries and is now a liability. We have no squad places left either so we have to sell, who does everyone want to get rid of? And who will be able to buy them? The only 2 I see leaving are Bernie :( and possible Laporte, but Bernie is more likely as I think he will go to A Madrid. Other than those 2 who are you getting rid of (and can find a buyer for)?

Think pep could make a really good holding mid out of cancelo. But still think rodri will be absolutely class for us. Its about the other players keeping the ball better and not exposing him to counter attacks.
Cancelo has no discipline and most importantly, no bottle to take that role.

WE need a leader and a hard player in the center of the park.

Getting a proper LB is a much bigger priority but Ndidi would absolutely be a game changer for us. Has all the physical and defensive attributes to be one of the best DMs in the world, give him a season with Pep and he’d definitely be right up there.

If we are losing two or three players, then let’s see Doyle and Lavia on the bench for games like Norwich at home. We’re not going to buy a defensive midfielder this window, probably not this season, so let’s get some meaningful game time in those two, especially Lavia.
Pep won't trust youth,also he has the issue of keeping his current first team players in games and contentment.

Bit left field but I think Palmer could be made into a decent defensive midfielder with a bit of work on the training ground. He can get around the pitch well and has a good motor. Was a bit surprised that he didn’t feature at all yesterday as I thought he did ok against Leicester.

Flap flap flap. We have played one league game! We unlike most other teams had almost the full squad on international duty, and a large number went deep into the competitions. Pep has given the squad a break for as long as possible to ensure we don’t burn out later in the season, I don’t necessarily think it was the right thing to do this season but that’s what has happened. Fern is 36 and he is not yet fit, you could tell, Rodders has only been back 2 weeks. We don’t need a DM this season we just need to get up to speed. Now left back is more of a priority, as I think Mendy will just not get back his form after the injuries and is now a liability. We have no squad places left either so we have to sell, who does everyone want to get rid of? And who will be able to buy them? The only 2 I see leaving are Bernie :( and possible Laporte, but Bernie is more likely as I think he will go to A Madrid. Other than those 2 who are you getting rid of (and can find a buyer for)?

No intended flapping from me.

Yesterday showed the players just weren't match fit plus missing better players.

However imo I think Fernandinho is a better player than Rodri but he's slowing down. I think Rodri is a decent player just not for us in this system or maybe this league.

Pep won't trust youth,also he has the issue of keeping his current first team players in games and contentment.
Yes, I tend to agree with that, yet at the same time Guardiola admitted that he was going to have younger players around the first team this season, and I naively hoped that might mean making the bench for league games. If we work on the basis that Bernardo and Laporte are possibly leaving, then we would still have space on the bench for younger players when regulars are out injured.

I think, like the left back position, this is an area we needed to prioritise.

For all the money spent we are relying on a 36 Fernandinho, amazing as he has been.

Still big question marks for me over Rodri. I feel when under pressure from being pressed, or when we lose the ball up top, he comes up short.

No idea who but then that's what we pay scouts for?

None of these will happen to City though :(
Alejandro Grimaldo - Player profile 21/22 | Transfermarkt LB
Eduardo Camavinga - Player profile 21/22 | Transfermarkt DM
Erling Haaland - Player profile 21/22 | Transfermarkt FW

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.