Defensive Midfielder

Think a bit of it was that we played Grealish in a very advanced position which worked in the first half when we were keeping the press and tempo up, it did leave us a lot more exposed though and Spurs began to capitalise on it.

It might be a few weeks before we click, we’re undercooked right now whilst also trying to work out the best system. Thought there were a few glimpses of how good we could be this year though, particularly when De Bruyne came on.

First game back with many not having a pre-season. Not time to throw players in the bin.

Spurs have had a good pre-season and were ready to punish our sloppyness. Poor positioning and a gung-ho approach were our downfall.

It was just like Leeds away last season where we ran with the ball and played them at their own game before losing it and leaving ourselves open.

Sterling tried to beat his man every time and Mendy was up the pitch offering himself as an outlet which meant he was nowhere when the ball was turned over. Poor passing and decision making led to countless opportunities for Spurs to stride into yards of space which suits their game.

Hopefully we get that patience and guile back sooner rather than later. The players we have will never win games playing end to end counter attacking football. We are a side that is built on dominating the ball and a solid shape with neat pass and move football.

We lost, we move on.

Its glaringly obvious that Mendy and Ake are not good enough for City and need to be moved on ASAP.
I think that´s a bit unfair on Ake. While Mendy is playing at left back and wandering about all over the field before giving the ball away, Ake is having to cover both his central defensive role and the left back position.

I would like to see how Ake plays at left back alongside Walker, Dias and Stones to get a better idea of his ability.

after 1 game
Actually Fern was great in the first half but then tired. I generally agree with the broad point though that, at 37, we must find a replacement urgently. I believe his role this season should be mostly helping younger players and coming off the bench to help protect results. Fern can't be expected to play every match or anything like it.

I get that people are saying not to panic etc

But Pep clearly thinks there is a problem there, he didn't play either in the CL final, dropped Rodri for big games at the end of the season

Actually Fern was great in the first half but then tired. I generally agree with the broad point though that, at 37, we must find a replacement urgently. I believe his role this season should be mostly helping younger players and coming off the bench to help protect results. Fern can't be expected to play every match or anything like it.
Fern Ake and Mandy are not first 11 starters so the point doesn’t really stand

I think that´s a bit unfair on Ake. While Mendy is playing at left back and wandering about all over the field before giving the ball away, Ake is having to cover both his central defensive role and the left back position.

I would like to see how Ake plays at left back alongside Walker, Dias and Stones to get a better idea of his ability.
That is not my quote someone has changed it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.