It's Quiet Thread 15 - Txiki Blinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m mostly just annoyed by two things. First that useful backup options like Andre Silva and Ings or others if that ilk moved so cheaply earlier in the window and secondly that we just can’t ever seem to get one of these big deals over the line. Was never really believing Ronaldo was ever anything but an attempt to smoke out United but it’s disappointing how frequently we seem to be left at the altar by any of these big targets. Even the ones we have closed like KDB took an enormous effort and always felt like they were on a knifes edge. I guess there’s a third thing which is that we seem to refuse to learn the lesson of the dangers of staying stagnant after winning the league. Grealish is a wonderful addition but very much like for like with other options we already had. Think we are really in for a battle this year and I’m up for it t we sure do make it harder on ourselves sometimes
Some good points.

The issue with other clubs seemingly outbidding us is strange. We have won a lot since the takeover but we are still walking in baby shoes when it come to taking the big players from other clubs.

FFP has slowed what we can spend. The club seem intent on going along with this charade. The money to blow teams away is not available.

The superstars of the game still seem reluctant to join. I am not saying we have not bought some fantastic players but when it come to the Haaland’s & Mbappe we are not first choice.

Guardiola "Modern football sometimes makes me sad. Nowadays there can be more focus on big-name signings rather than promoting youth and that makes me sad. Why buy a striker for £50 million when there is one waiting in the youth team?"

Also Pep - in his 6th season and has spent over 900mil for us and promoted just 1 youth player(Foden)
Have you considered that Foden is the only one who has been good enough so far.

That’s what I was thinking
We need to get away from the notion the media and football agents build up that they're are only a few top world class stars who would improve our team.

Look at Diaz, Stones, Fernandinho, Sterling, Walker, Ederson. All excellent, but none of them world class before they joined us. Salah, Mane, Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, VVD, Kanté, the list goes on.

Stop this bedwetting about how a couple of big name signings haven't worked out. The squad can definitely still be strengthened.

Last edited:
I think we're all upset but I don't think its anything to do with the failure of our negotiators - more the sort of people they have to deal with. We also have to take into account that every player has their own ideas of where they want to play - or, indeed, go back to play! As a club, we are quite rightly, very picky and we should continue to be. It's worked so far. But we do all feel a bit sick today
I’m completely chilled about things, think we’ll play attractive football and remain competitive, which is all I really want, anything more is just a bonus.

Reactions: CC1
Some good points.

The issue with other clubs seemingly outbidding us is strange. We have won a lot since the takeover but we are still walking in baby shoes when it come to taking the big players from other clubs.

FFP has slowed what we can spend. The club seem intent on going along with this charade. The money to blow teams away is not available.

The superstars of the game still seem reluctant to join. I am not saying we have not bought some fantastic players but when it come to the Haaland’s & Mbappe we are not first choice.
That’s what is disappointing we just don’t seem despite everything to be the team they want to play for. The ‘history’ clubs still have that draw it seems.

Guardiola "Modern football sometimes makes me sad. Nowadays there can be more focus on big-name signings rather than promoting youth and that makes me sad. Why buy a striker for £50 million when there is one waiting in the youth team?"

Also Pep - in his 6th season and has spent over 900mil for us and promoted just 1 youth player(Foden)
I agree up to a point but thinking back on it I started going in the late 70s since then we really haven't had many strikers come through to be successful from our youth team....Sturridge and Moulden being the two that spring to mind for me, but not too many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.