Early thoughts on City and the Premier League

I really feel the Rags have been given the "nod" from the FA that this is going to be their year.
Taggat is becoming more prominent again.
Even young Jesse, who wanted 1st team football elsewhere last season as now decided he wants to stay and fight for his place, even though there so many in front of him. He's been told something and they all want part of it.
The next few months officiating will tell us all a lot more about who wins the league this season.
We play the best football but are not very good for The BRAND
We’re very good for the brand. The Agüeroooooo moment is the most iconic moment in Premier League [and possibly English football] history. The TV revenue deal shot up because of that moment.

Even Sky still show that goal and the commentary all the time. Same with the Kompany goal.

They just don’t want us winning it every year and prefer a title challenge to the death.

Said it before but we are in the position where there are only 2 or 3 players,in each position, in world football, that would improve our current squad. This makes transfers difficult as you are dealing with a smaller pool of potential candidates.

Cannot understand the Grealish transfer at all. Spunked 100m on an area that didn't need addressing.
That's really not true in the case of centre-forward. With the departure of Aguero we don't have a single experienced player in our squad who you could describe as a classical centre-forward.

I am worried that the purchase of Grealish creates a potential problem in waiting with Sterling. How are we going to incorporate Sterling, Foden and Grealish in the same side and keep them all happy?

I always felt we would have a disrupted pre-season and relatively slow start given the number of players going deep into the two international tournaments. However, there's a number of very difficult games in September and would rather have our full squad available than risk a number of muscle injuries early on.

Whilst it's easy to criticise the club for the transfer window, the Kane transfer always looked incredibly difficult to pull off. For me, that 6 year contract may come back to be the biggest mistake of his career. Provided Levy with way too much leverage.

Don't think we'll ever get a straight version of the Ronaldo story. Will be very interesting to see how United balance the sheer number of attacking players and a player with a huge ego running their dressing room in the short term. None of their signings seem to point a coherent strategy. They've already had to go down the 'club legend' as manager route and unless they can counter attack, seem short on ideas.

Distinct lack of top quality strikers in the market at the moment. I'm not so sure a second tier option works for us anyway. Jesus is capable of being that.

Ferran Torres strike rate is worth note, along with the variety of his finishing. Wouldn't be too fussed about him going missing in games we've lost as this is typically with a weakened side and he's clearly better at stretching play with runs rather than link up play. Could he score 15-20 league goals or develop into a very useful striker?

I've liked what I've seen from Grealish so far, but it may take a while to see his full potential. Really excited to see how he combines with Foden & KDB though.

The main contenders look to be Chelsea. Teams are still struggling to contend with their system. Liverpool only appeared dangerous on Saturday against 10 men, or when they pushed the game to an unsustainable tempo through direct long balls. I suspect we'll need to use a 3 at the back system when we play them to have much success.

Spurs are a functional unit but won't sustain a serious challenge. A bit like Wolves under Nuno, very good against stronger teams but unlikely to consistently beat teams in the midtable that defend well.

I have us competing for the league all being well, but fear Chelsea may be a robotic 93-95 point team. Not much fun to watch but able to do enough each week and then pinch the big games.

The CL is wide open and I'd hope for quarters as a minimum.

We’re very good for the brand. The Agüeroooooo moment is the most iconic moment in Premier League [and possibly English football] history. The TV revenue deal shot up because of that moment.

Even Sky still show that goal and the commentary all the time. Same with the Kompany goal.

They just don’t want us winning it every year and prefer a title challenge to the death.
Still feel they've been given the nod, especially now Ron is back.
Was it Masters who said it was bad for business when City ran away with the title but then said it wasn't when Liverpool did.
Yes they don't want us winning it every year, but they weren't arsed when the Rags and Dippers were and wouldn't be again if any of those 2 could replicate their former glories

Hard to judge our chances in the league we have played an average spurs side when hugely under par ourselves and lost. Won convincingly against 2 shocking teams with one down to 10 men. The next few games are tests let's see how we do.

Champions league I can't be overly hopeful(blew our big chance last year)

Good chance in either/both of the domestic cups.

I would say Chelsea scousers and PSG will be the biggest obstacles. Can't work the scum out yet but on paper they should be better than last season.

Long post I should have said who the fuck knows. It will be interesting especially with the crowds back.

I really feel the Rags have been given the "nod" from the FA that this is going to be their year.
Taggat is becoming more prominent again.
Even young Jesse, who wanted 1st team football elsewhere last season as now decided he wants to stay and fight for his place, even though there so many in front of him. He's been told something and they all want part of it.
The next few months officiating will tell us all a lot more about who wins the league this season.
We play the best football but are not very good for The BRAND
I'm honestly fascinated by this sort of conspiracy theory. By your reckoning, the "premier league" meets in August to decide who is going to win that year based on what will be good for the broadcasting rights. This is then filtered through to both referees and also the team that is winning players, who then make a decision about whether to stay or not. City, having won 3 of the last 4, have not only beaten other teams but also somehow overcome the league's desires. Honestly, is that someone you hand on heart believe??

I'm honestly fascinated by this sort of conspiracy theory. By your reckoning, the "premier league" meets in August to decide who is going to win that year based on what will be good for the broadcasting rights. This is then filtered through to both referees and also the team that is winning players, who then make a decision about whether to stay or not. City, having won 3 of the last 4, have not only beaten other teams but also somehow overcome the league's desires. Honestly, is that someone you hand on heart believe??
It's a Defence mechanism if we don't win it we weren't allowed to. Nearly every rag and scouser I have met thought the powers that be were against them.

Like you say too many people would have to be in on it and none ever blab. My view on conspiracies is if it takes more than a handful of people in one room then it's bollocks.

I'll keep me eye out for any of your posts bemoaning unbelievable referring decisions going in the Rags favour over the season.
But obviously I won't see any cos it doesn't happen

giphy-1.gif

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.