Americana / alt.country thread

Thanks to the Op for this thread,
like PB I got into Americana/Alt country through listening to Bon Harris on R2
its my favourite genre of music, so much so me and a mate went to Nashville some years ago for the first Americana Music Awards at the Ryman Theatre.
what an amazing few days that was seeing our favourite artists and plenty of new ones.I even had a chat with whistling Bob.
one of the first bands I got into was Uncle Tupelo, I remember ordering the CDs from a mail order record store called Miles of Music in Burbank, they used to send a catalogue with each order so I got into loads of Artists I hadn’t heard before.
ive also been to Austin which is a great music city and we came back armed with dozens of CDs.
I’m a big fan of both Slaid cleaves and Rod Picott,seen them here lots of times
Rod played a gig in Davenham just before the Pandemic.
I like virtually all the artists mentioned so far in the thread, faves have to be Jason Isbell and Ryan Adams and their old bands DBTs and Whiskeytown.

A few that i dont think have been mentioned yet
The Jayhawks
Richmond Fontaine
Waiting for Henry
Jeff Black
Bellwether
Danny George Wilson and his previous bands Grand Drive ,and Danny and the Champions
The late great Warren Zevon

From Canada
Wyckham Porteus
Jim Bryson
Justin Townes Earle

i could drone on forever ,as you can see it’s passion,

heres a new one
I can’t believe he’s from the Cyrus family
sounds just like Levon Helm and Steve Earles on it

Thanks to the Op for this thread,
like PB I got into Americana/Alt country through listening to Bon Harris on R2
its my favourite genre of music, so much so me and a mate went to Nashville some years ago for the first Americana Music Awards at the Ryman Theatre.
what an amazing few days that was seeing our favourite artists and plenty of new ones.I even had a chat with whistling Bob.
one of the first bands I got into was Uncle Tupelo, I remember ordering the CDs from a mail order record store called Miles of Music in Burbank, they used to send a catalogue with each order so I got into loads of Artists I hadn’t heard before.
ive also been to Austin which is a great music city and we came back armed with dozens of CDs.
I’m a big fan of both Slaid cleaves and Rod Picott,seen them here lots of times
Rod played a gig in Davenham just before the Pandemic.
I like virtually all the artists mentioned so far in the thread, faves have to be Jason Isbell and Ryan Adams and their old bands DBTs and Whiskeytown.

A few that i dont think have been mentioned yet
The Jayhawks
Richmond Fontaine
Waiting for Henry
Jeff Black
Bellwether
Danny George Wilson and his previous bands Grand Drive ,and Danny and the Champions
The late great Warren Zevon

From Canada
Wyckham Porteus
Jim Bryson
Justin Townes Earle

i could drone on forever ,as you can see it’s passion,

heres a new one
I can’t believe he’s from the Cyrus family
sounds just like Levon Helm and Steve Earles on it

Bob Harris is how I got into a lot of music. I used to listen to his show and make notes of artists I liked, and head to Polar Bear records on Deansgate every Saturday in search of CDs. I was about 15, this would’ve been 2003-ish.

They’re from Canada of course, but I’m also a big fan of the Weakerthans. Their sound is a really interesting mix of 90s college radio/alternative indie, punk and Americana.

I’ve heard of the Weakerthans they did an Album with Jim Bryson
The Falcon Lake Incident

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.