Americana / alt.country thread

I thought REM were in the Americana bracket? Along with Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, 16 Horsepower, Son Volt, Modest Mouse and maybe even Grandaddy? And many more great bands and musicians. I think my definition of Americana is different to the alt.country version that others think it is. Confusing.

I thought REM were in the Americana bracket? Along with Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, 16 Horsepower, Son Volt, Modest Mouse and maybe even Grandaddy? And many more great bands and musicians. I think my definition of Americana is different to the alt.country version that others think it is. Confusing.
I think REM are more indie than Americana but there is obviously some crossover. The instrumentation on “Out of Time” and “Automatic for the People” certainly puts them in that bracket.

I think Americana encompasses all of American folk and country and all in between, like various forms of electrified country rock and bluegrass etc.
As such I like listening to it although I wouldn’t be any kind of expert on any of it.

I like genuine folk of most countries, English speaking anyway. It’s usually honest and tells a story.

Country is great. What I can’t stand almost universally is the whine of country and western.
I don’t want to know about your achey breaky heart. Shit kicker!
Leave Billy Ray alone and focus on his daughter :-)

Don't know if he qualifies for this thread but Chris Stapleton is pretty epic
He definitely qualifies. His recent albums seem to be very highly rated but for some reason although I liked a few of the tracks, I couldn’t get into the albums as a whole. He’s got a good voice though.

Love this genre. 'Whispering' Bob Harris's R1 overnight & then R2 Saturday Night show championed many artists in this space. Lost track of what's happening there these days so thanks to everyone who's posted in this thread. I'll be having a good listen to some of this stuff:

Meanwhile here's an offering of my own. The Handsome Family's 'So Much Wine'

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.