Wycombe (H) - EFL Cup R3 | Post-Match Thread

It's a long time since I was so excited about a group of players coming through.

I see potential greatness in Lavia, I was shocked at his levels playing in such an experienced position - he's ready now - he's easily on a par with Rodri - the kid has it all.

Would not surprise me if him, Palmer and McAtee go all the way.

I agree with you on Tommy Doyle, I think he could be more than good enough to be a squad player, he just needs to find his role in midfield and get some experience.

Chelsea made the conscious decision after Conte to make their golden generation the priority, and it only took 18 months of Lampard championing them for Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Reece James, Christensen & Abraham to pick up the experience and confidence that Tuchel saw them as proper first team players, not academy kids.

I don't think anyone wants City to appoint a Lampard, but the amazing thing is I don't think we'd need to. Pep has said so many time he prefers working with kids, he wants to be a youth coach in his retirement. If we could win the CL this season and tick that off, I think he would absolutely relish the idea of being told his priority for the next season(s) was bringing through 3 or 4 kids and setting up a generation of homegrown players for the club to be his legacy after he's gone.

Re Tommy, I think he has that extra motivation which takes a player beyond someone who is perhaps more talented?

I know Phil Neville was always considered the superior player to his brother, but Gary wanted it more, simply because he only ever wanted to play for United.

Tommy obviously has the City credentials and, each time I have seen him come on, he is keen as mustard and always surprises with a moment of surprising skill?

I would like to assume for the first time in a long while, there is a real two-way trust which now exists between the kids we have and Pep.

If Pep thinks these kids coming through are good enough to play for him, then he will also have a fair idea he can be successful with them and win trophies, rather than just paying lip service to it all.

I agree with you on Tommy Doyle, I think he could be at the very least a squad player, he just needs to find his role in midfield and get some experience.

Chelsea made the conscious decision after Conte to make their golden generation the priority, and it only took 18 months of Lampard championing them for Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Reece James, Christensen & Abraham to pick up the experience and confidence that Tuchel saw them as proper first team players, not academy kids.

I don't think anyone wants City to appoint a Lampard, but the amazing thing is I don't think we'd need to. Pep has said so many time he prefers working with kids, he wants to be a youth coach in his retirement. If we could win the CL this season and tick that off, I think he would absolutely relish the idea of being told his priority for the next season(s) was bringing through 3 or 4 kids and setting up a generation of homegrown players for the club to be his legacy after he's gone.

I think there's a lot of opportunities coming up as well over the next 2 years. Fernandinho is going, Mahrez will be 32 when his contract expires in 2023, Left back is wide open. I personally think Laporte will try to move to Spain again, and Aké may look for a club he starts at every week after 2 or 3 years as a back up.

He could always put Halaand at the top of it, just to keep the average age down even more!

I think a lot of young eyes will also be trained on Gundo's back in the next 18 months.

He is a Liverpool fan but also speaks very well about city loves the way we play etc and says he wants us to win every game we play apart from when we play Liverpool.

no need to hate or boo him he’s a good guy and a legend in the lower leagues
I haven’t hated or booed him. I just don’t feel the need to applaud him.

I agree with you on Tommy Doyle, I think he could be at the very least a squad player, he just needs to find his role in midfield and get some experience.

I think there's a lot of opportunities coming up as well over the next 2 years. Fernandinho is going, Mahrez will be 32 when his contract expires in 2023, Left back is wide open. I personally think Laporte will try to move to Spain again, and Aké may look for a club he starts at every week after 2 or 3 years as a back up.

I always think of Henderson when I think of Doyle. There is no way he isn't as fundamentally talented at the same age, and regardless of what we think of him he's captained a side to a CL and PL. Took Henderson a while to reach the top but I wouldn't put it past Doyle to do the same. Fletcher is another good comparison. Grew into an important player for United over time.

I always think of Henderson when I think of Doyle. There is no way he isn't as fundamentally talented at the same age, and regardless of what we think of him he's captained a side to a CL and PL. Took Henderson a while to reach the top but I wouldn't put it past Doyle to do the same. Fletcher is another good comparison. Grew into an important player for United over time.

Or just look at McTominay now. He's one of the most improved players in the league over the past 2 seasons or so, he's gone from a complete plodder to a good destroyer who turns up big time in "big" matches for United - derbies, Liverpool, Leeds etc.

I don't think it's for sentimental reasons either that Doyle has captained at every level, including I think Internationals.

The lads a born leader.

It's a long time since I was so excited about a group of players coming through.

I see potential greatness in Lavia, I was shocked at his levels playing in such an experienced position - he's ready now - he's easily on a par with Rodri - the kid has it all.

Would not surprise me if him, Palmer and McAtee go all the way.

McAtee is my personal favourite out of the crop.

Pep player written all over him.

It would be prudent to start giving Lavia playing time in the cups, lower level prem, and dead rubber CL games.

Fernandinho was poor on Saturday and we might be about to witness a "last season Yaya" type of decline in him due to him now being 94.

Lavia might well be the answer.

McAtee is my personal favourite out of the crop.

Pep player written all over him.

It would be prudent to start giving Lavia playing time in the cups, lower level prem, and dead rubber CL games.

Fernandinho was poor on Saturday and we might be about to witness a "last season Yaya" type of decline in him due to him now being 94.

Lavia might well be the answer.

We might have no choice, because we cannot allow Fern to have a Toure coast, or we will end up winning nowt this season.

I'd play Phil at the base of the midfield if it came to it. He can do it. Energy, technique, tackles.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.