United Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly the point I've been making for years.

I lived in London in the early to mid nineties and I couldn't believe the amount of cockney rags I came across. Recognising my accent the first thing they asked me was: "do you support Younited?" "No. I'm from Manchester, so obviously I support Manchester City" came my reply.

The real question is: "why do you support them when you've got so many local teams to choose from?"

I kid you not the most common reply I got was: "Well cos dare the best ain't de"

I always asked them the same question: "what are you going to do when they're no longer the best?"

Following their obligatory look of bewilderment that etched their southern faces the retort was often: "well; spose I'll find meself anover club then ain't it"

For years I've had my suspicions that the majority of rag fans were cut from the same cloth as those shallow cockney supporters I encountered. I also suspected that once the rags were no longer top dogs in the premier league there would be a mass exodus of support from the club.

What baffles me is despite the rags being bang average for the past eight years they still manage to attract a significant fan base.

I went to Amsterdam just before the first covid lockdown to see Liam G gig with the misses. Ended up drinking with 8 lads from Barnsley. All 8 were Rag fans....

I asked them why, no real answer. Said there were pals not in the Dam with them who were the same. They were 40 ish so only reason must be the Rags were winning things when they were young and the premier league exploded.

They didnt go to many games but just shows how many sheep from nowhere near Manchester associate with them...

I went to Amsterdam just before the first covid lockdown to see Liam G gig with the misses. Ended up drinking with 8 lads from Barnsley. All 8 were Rag fans....

I asked them why, no real answer. Said there were pals not in the Dam with them who were the same. They were 40 ish so only reason must be the Rags were winning things when they were young and the premier league exploded.

They didnt go to many games but just shows how many sheep from nowhere near Manchester associate with them...
Baaa nsley you say..

I genuinely could not be in their company! The worst kind of football followers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.