#47 | Phil Foden - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they look less entertaning? On blob these players are the most entertaining football team this club as ever had.
oh i agree as a team we are up there with the best in entertainment factor. but i can also understand why the older ones loved watching individual attackers skip past defenses with ease during those times.

I would politely disagree. I may not be your age, but I've seen plenty of the first two at least. Best was often up against players that would be lucky to be league one in terms of quality right now. Drop him in the game now and he'd be shocked by the pace of it. Maybe he would get up to speed eventually, but there's no guarantee. Played on a crap pitch or not, most of those players were heavy smokers and drinkers. Sports science wasn't a thing, they didn't train or practice with anywhere near the same intensity. Of course they wouldn't be up to the same level as today's game where you have to do everything better, quicker and more precisely. Brentford would probably beat the Brazil 1970 team IMO. The game is *vastly* better now. I'm not saying it's more entertaining, but the overall average technical ability, the fitness, the organisation etc is world's apart from even 20 years ago.

EDIT - this Best video just proves my point. The standard of defending is fucking dreadful. Genuinely amateurish at times. All throwing themselves in, all look so unsharp and lacking physicality. There is zero discipline. You couldn't do that today. They're just too strong, too organised, too fast.

To be fair, that video really does prove your entire point. The defending is an utter joke, bordering on comedy. Some of it is so bad it looks staged. Drop a shoulder or chop onto your other foot and half the team slide to ground, it’s laughable. Against that same standard, where defenders sell themselves on every change of direction, with no ability to recover, even the likes of Mahrez would make a mockery of them to the levels Best is showing there, or even beyond. It’s like when you play 5 a side as a kid and the guy that is on trial at City/Utd shows up and runs past everyone for fun, because we’re all unfit and have no clue how to defend.

Last edited:
To be fair, that video really does prove your entire point. The defending is an utter joke, bordering on comedy. Some of it is so bad it looks staged. Drop a shoulder or chop onto your other foot and half the team slide to ground, it’s laughable. Against that same standard, where defenders sell themselves on every change of direction, with no ability to recover, even the likes of Mahrez would make a mockery of them to the levels Best is showing there, or even beyond. It’s like when you play 5 a side as a kid and the guy that is on trial at City/Utd shows up and runs past everyone for fun, because we’re all unfit and have no clue how to defend.

The defending at 2 mins was the kicker for me out on the wing. When he turns inside at 2.04...what the flying fuck was that? Genuinely looks like me when im knackered 20 minutes in at 5 aside. Not even trying. You'd be laughed out of the stadium now as a PL defender if you did that. Literally none of them harry him. It's bizarre.

The defending at 2 mins was the kicker for me out on the wing. When he turns inside at 2.04...what the flying fuck was that? Genuinely looks like me when im knackered 20 minutes in at 5 aside. Not even trying. You'd be laughed out of the stadium now as a PL defender if you did that. Literally none of them harry him. It's bizarre.
Teams nowadays would literally rack up double figures against that. Imagine them against 90 mins of Pep-ball. High intensity pressing, high line, Kyle Walker mopping up, built like an Olympic sprinter, they’d be swatted aside. Different game.

My son the other night summed up Phil‘s ability. He said that he was like a Swiss army knife of a footballer, he can do anything on a football field. If you put in the team at full back he would still be the best player on the pitch.

Phil as full back is decent idea, probably not going to be able to beat Zinchenko though and many other.

Let's play Laporte up front and de Bruyne in goal too.

It isn't a decent idea. Maybe in an emergency, but even then - just no.

It's Pep we are talking about here, i thought he was mad when he put Zinny on LB position too but look how it turn out now. I'm just saying there's posibility he can be decent in here, if Pep thinks he can do it.

It's Pep we are talking about here, i thought he was mad when he put Zinny on LB position too but look how it turn out now. I'm just saying there's posibility he can be decent in here, if Pep thinks he can do it.
You don't put the best player in the team in at full back.
My head hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.