Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's being widely reported this morning that the government is working off modelling that shows cases declining rapidly in November onwards and hopefully being around the 5k mark in December.

Currently cases are being driven by children and the modelling suggests that Covid is moving towards 'endemic equilibrium' whereby it circulates at a low level permanently. This is about as good as it gets as it won't be possible to entirely eliminate it anywhere for many years to come (if ever).

it’s so conflicted isn’t it.

one day you got a top scientist saying we’re heading into catastrophic levels and the NHS is going to collapse.

the next you have Goverment minister saying it’s practically over in a months time.

Not had the vaccine and don't plan to have it either. I'm not anti-vax, I just don't think it's necessary for me. I have worked since day one of lockdown, usually six days a week, 10 hours a day in a job where I come into close contact with approximately 30 to 50 random strangers a day. I have never worn a mask and have never washed my hands. I've never been ill and my family have all been fine.

It's over.

Me, me, me.

Not had the vaccine and don't plan to have it either. I'm not anti-vax, I just don't think it's necessary for me. I have worked since day one of lockdown, usually six days a week, 10 hours a day in a job where I come into close contact with approximately 30 to 50 random strangers a day. I have never worn a mask and have never washed my hands. I've never been ill and my family have all been fine.

It's over.
Tell that to those in ICU that thought they were imune, hope you and your family don't regret it too.

It's over.
It’s tits like you that cause spikes. If you did catch it then the 30/50 random strangers you come into close contact with each day likely get it.

it’s so conflicted isn’t it.

one day you got a top scientist saying we’re heading into catastrophic levels and the NHS is going to collapse.

the next you have Goverment minister saying it’s practically over in a months time.

Thing is, both are possible.

We need to have a policy and debate which accepts the huge uncertainty.

It's being widely reported this morning that the government is working off modelling that shows cases declining rapidly in November onwards and hopefully being around the 5k mark in December.

Currently cases are being driven by children and the modelling suggests that Covid is moving towards 'endemic equilibrium' whereby it circulates at a low level permanently. This is about as good as it gets as it won't be possible to entirely eliminate it anywhere for many years to come (if ever).
(spoiler alert) Unfortunately it's impossible to eliminate it so the endemic phase is as good as it gets. That's exactly what happened with Spanish Flu and that is still circulating >100 years later. However, the flip side of endemic is that it will come and go in mini-waves and immunity builds up in the population such that it becomes indistinguishable from all the other respiratory diseases that circulate and will fade into the memory - again, like Spanish Flu.

It's over.
You're not an undertaker perchance?...

(spoiler alert) Unfortunately it's impossible to eliminate it so the endemic phase is as good as it gets. That's exactly what happened with Spanish Flu and that is still circulating >100 years later. However, the flip side of endemic is that it will come and go in mini-waves and immunity builds up in the population such that it becomes indistinguishable from all the other respiratory diseases that circulate and will fade into the memory - again, like Spanish Flu.
Our old friend herd immunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.