Any past or present City player everybody seems to rate but you don't

Sterling, always said he's not a footballer

Hart, a few magnificent performances but distribution was crap, couldnt dive to his left and was a bellend

Clichy, totally limited full back who was 20 years after his time, would have been great in the early 90s

Kelechi, bang bang average yet everyone loved him

Benjani, scored at their place, shite apart from that

I could go on

I don’t think Daniel Van Buyten was quite the combination of Bobby Moore, Franco Baresi and Franz Beckenbauer that would have led us to multiple trophies like some believe.
Maybe not, but I think his career after leaving us showed that he was someone that could have easily been a stalwart for us for years. Within two years of leaving us he was a starting centre back for Bayern Munich. At the time for me, the thing that pissed me off was how much money we'd wasted on players who turned out to be shit, and here we were presented with the opportunity to buy someone who we knew improved the team, and we turned it down. I bet we wouldn't have taken the option on Foe either.

Ok, this is not a thread about bit-part players, or the unarguably out-of-their-depth - but a chance to question commonly-held beliefs. I love Gaby Jesus, and loved Paul Stewart, but I’m not having a pop at knuckles’ or gaudino’s posts. So here goes…

John Stones. For most of the 2019-20 season, literally unselectable.

When Vinnie had retired and didn’t get replaced, when Laporte got a 6-month injury in September, when the General was clearly no longer worth his place, we had to put the PL’s best CDM in the back four for most of the season, completely unbalancing the side, and placing too much pressure on Rodri far too early in his City career, because England international JS, wih no age or fitness issues affecting him, could not be trusted to do the job he was paid to do. Even García was ahead of JS. He had a good season last year, his first ever in a City shirt, but some people, Blue Moon Podcast especially, go on about Stones like he’s some kind of National Treasure.

At his worst, Stones is the most timid-looking Centre Half I’ve ever paid money to watch. At his best, he’s only good enough.
Worst take I've ever seen, heard or read.

Sterling.
People rated him when he was good and now don't rate him because he's been shit.
Personally it'd be Gundo for me because even when going through his purple patch I thought he was miles away from where he needed to be.

Past... Channon, Francis, Coton. And plenty of others over the years.

Most overrated player of all? Tin hat firmly on.... Vincent Kompany. A great player but never world class imo.

Present... Laporte, Mahrez, Cancelo

Manager... Kevin Keegan
He wasn't overrated, we just never got to see his full potential on a regular basis. Players like Kompany offer so much more than what you see on the pitch though, he has that rare ability to make his teammates think they're invincible and that only happens with special players.

I know he's pretty universally loved because of how well he played for us, but I just never rated Bernardo Corradi.
Not really of interest but I could never say Bernardo Corradi without using a fake scouse accent?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.