Avanti Trains (match day travel from the South East)

I looked at the fares for West Ham and Brighton away. They are a disgrace. The train system is beyond a joke. The only people that can afford to use it are those who are working and can claim back on expenses. If you book in advance you can get the train from Hamburg to Berlin (useful for the Leipzig game) for just five Euros. That's 158 miles. This country has become a laughing stock. Our infrastructure is an embarrassment.
Totally agree-went to Brighton and was cheaper to stay in a Travelodge and drive back next day
Also got train from Marseille to Lyon for 10€

Just received five emails from Avanti saying advance fares are now available for 28 August, 30 October, 21 November, 28 November and 15 January. The last one was of interest, but turned out not to be true.

Received the same email. Spoke to one of the Avanti staff at Piccadilly Station about lack of advance fares being offered, they said, "all their trains are full so they don't need to offer them". As for weekend trains advance fares are not available because the football season has started. What!!!!

Totally agree-went to Brighton and was cheaper to stay in a Travelodge and drive back next day
Also got train from Marseille to Lyon for 10€
Same here for the Spurs game. £9.80 National Express London return and Hackney Travelodge £24. £64 with railcard on Avanti. Spent the £30 saved on "refreshments".

Received the same email. Spoke to one of the Avanti staff at Piccadilly Station about lack of advance fares being offered, they said, "all their trains are full so they don't need to offer them". As for weekend trains advance fares are not available because the football season has started. What!!!!
Virgin weren’t perfect but they were a hell of a lot better than this.

I’ve had another one apologising for the previous errors and assuring me that tickets for the date I requested are now available. Which is 15 January. And trains aren’t even timetabled yet for that day.

If you can get to Crewe (driving or local train) try the LNWR train to London. Slow, but much cheaper. From £9-80 single, according to their website.
Nice one Brian.
I have just checked their website for ticket prices in February and they are indeed showing single tickets at £9.30 each. Me and the wife like to have a day trip or two out to London in the summer so if they are still doing these cheap fares next year, we will give them a try.

Nice one Brian.
I have just checked their website for ticket prices in February and they are indeed showing single tickets at £9.30 each. Me and the wife like to have a day trip or two out to London in the summer so if they are still doing these cheap fares next year, we will give them a try.

I clocked them by chance one day when I was on my way to Wrenbury via Crewe to visit the fabled Bhurtphore pub, which is about a mile walk from Wrenbury station and worth every pace, especially if you like curry.

The LNWR train looked pretty comfortable, but it makes quite a lot of stops so is relatively slow. Good cheap option though if time isn't a problem. Can't see it being slower than a coach, although obviously, you do have to get to Crewe so it won't suit everyone.

I can recommend LNER if a London game.

I'm based in Sth Manchester and takes me just over 1 hour to Wakefield, M60, M62 and into Wakey. If you're North Manchester, prob take 45 mins or less. Park up right next to the Station in a Secure Car Park for less than £17 (and that's Fri - Monday) poss cheaper for shorter trips, 2 min walk to the Platform, there's a Costa and a Greggs in the station and you're into Kings Cross in 2hrs.

Register for their App and it's a fiver off your first booking too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.