Avanti Trains (match day travel from the South East)

I clocked them by chance one day when I was on my way to Wrenbury via Crewe to visit the fabled Bhurtphore pub, which is about a mile walk from Wrenbury station and worth every pace, especially if you like curry.

The LNWR train looked pretty comfortable, but it makes quite a lot of stops so is relatively slow. Good cheap option though if time isn't a problem. Can't see it being slower than a coach, although obviously, you do have to get to Crewe so it won't suit everyone.
You can also use LNWR via Stoke as well.

Received the same email. Spoke to one of the Avanti staff at Piccadilly Station about lack of advance fares being offered, they said, "all their trains are full so they don't need to offer them". As for weekend trains advance fares are not available because the football season has started. What!!!!
Cost £160 ish for myself and my teenage boy for Milton Keynes to Manchester for the Palace game. We booked late so it was even more expensive- could have been £110. The train to Manchester on the Saturday morning was pretty empty. There were no advance lower fee tickets.
I am sure it is more than pre lockdown.
…and they are usually late!

You can also use LNWR via Stoke as well.

I used to use LNWR regularly, as an antidote to some of Virgin's earthier prices (be careful what you wish for on that front, cos I'd give anything to have Virgin back in place of Avanti's band of thieves), but, perhaps as a result of Avanti's greed, everyone is now using LNWR and it's very difficult to get tickets that tie in with altered kick off time windows. Currently their trains are sold out for both the Chelsea (15th Jan) and Norwich (12th Feb) home games.
I've been having to get 'home' to London via Transpennine to Doncaster and then LNER to Kings Cross. Takes ages, but I can usually do it for about £60 - 65 return, which beats Avanti's £95!

I used to use LNWR regularly, as an antidote to some of Virgin's earthier prices (be careful what you wish for on that front, cos I'd give anything to have Virgin back in place of Avanti's band of thieves), but, perhaps as a result of Avanti's greed, everyone is now using LNWR and it's very difficult to get tickets that tie in with altered kick off time windows. Currently their trains are sold out for both the Chelsea (15th Jan) and Norwich (12th Feb) home games.
I've been having to get 'home' to London via Transpennine to Doncaster and then LNER to Kings Cross. Takes ages, but I can usually do it for about £60 - 65 return, which beats Avanti's £95!
Norwich is away on that weekend of 12th Feb.

Members of the RMT and TSSA who work for Avanti have voted for industrial action, so expect disruption in the coming weeks and months. The RMT members include guards, dispatch staff & caterers, whilst the TSSA members are managers & supervisors who would normally backfill frontline roles, but won't be available to this time round.

how does anyone book a tickets on avanti's website ?
I'v not been able to find a planner to book tickets for a while
their app seems to work but not their online /laptop version
I have 2 free first class tickets to use but I'm unable to use them

I can recommend LNER if a London game.

I'm based in Sth Manchester and takes me just over 1 hour to Wakefield, M60, M62 and into Wakey. If you're North Manchester, prob take 45 mins or less. Park up right next to the Station in a Secure Car Park for less than £17 (and that's Fri - Monday) poss cheaper for shorter trips, 2 min walk to the Platform, there's a Costa and a Greggs in the station and you're into Kings Cross in 2hrs.

Register for their App and it's a fiver off your first booking too.
£17 for what / the car park ,train or park and ride

£17 for what / the car park ,train or park and ride

Maybe re read this line.....

Park up right next to the Station in a Secure Car Park for less than £17 (and that's Fri - Monday)

If you think a train to London is £17 you must be accessing the internet from 1954 !

Train prices change all the time, but are at least 50% cheaper than the robdogs charge at Avanti.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.