Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still lots of unknowns but Looks like it’s rapidly overtaking Delta in South Africa. She emphasised there are not many samples in the grand scheme of things tho.

SA and 5 other African countries added to red list.

Good job trad vaccines are coming for the new year that hit the body of the virus as well as the spike protein.
e.g.
90% efficacious and 100% effective against serious illness.

In this tweet shes reporting what the South African health ministry has been saying today.

the speed countries are blocking travel and it getting a Greek alphabet name almost instantly says a lot. The WHO are usually really slow with this stuff.

all in all we don’t know much yet but what is known is concerning so will be watched a lot.
It hasn't got an alphabet name like Mu or Delta or whatever yet. I'm not sure why the BBC reporter has said it will likely get one tommorow, but I'll take a guess.

At the moment it is listed as a Variant Under Monitoring (VUM) on the WHO site. If they nominate it as a Variant Of Interest (VOI) it will get the single letter name.

We have a bunch of VUM's, but only two VOI's at present - Lambda, and Mu.

Nomination as a Variant Of Interest is a significant step, but it's worthwhile remembering that it by no means it will become a widespread strain - which would make it a Variant Of Concern (VOC) like Alpha, Beta, and of course the dreaded Delta.

Brazilian variant P2 was nominated a VOI and renamed as 'Zeta', but is now not even listed as a VOI.

Which alphabet will we move onto when we’ve completed the Greek one?
We'll do names of food, like Google.

Apple
Banana
Cheesecake
Delicious Hamburger
Gooey Cake
Hamburger (Not Delicious)
Imaginary Pizza
Jam Doughnut
Kiwi (they're nice once you get the skin off but don't eat them with yoghurt I'm telling you)

etc etc

We'll do names of food, like Google.

Apple
Banana
Cheesecake
Delicious Hamburger
Gooey Cake
Hamburger (Not Delicious)
Imaginary Pizza
Jam Doughnut
Kiwi (they're nice once you get the skin off but don't eat them with yoghurt I'm telling you)

etc etc
Which alphabet are you using? It seems to be missing E and F.

It hasn't got an alphabet name like Mu or Delta or whatever yet. I'm not sure why the BBC reporter has said it will likely get one tommorow, but I'll take a guess.

At the moment it is listed as a Variant Under Monitoring (VUM) on the WHO site. If they nominate it as a Variant Of Interest (VOI) it will get the single letter name.

We have a bunch of VUM's, but only two VOI's at present - Lambda, and Mu.

Nomination as a Variant Of Interest is a significant step, but it's worthwhile remembering that it by no means it will become a widespread strain - which would make it a Variant Of Concern (VOC) like Alpha, Beta, and of course the dreaded Delta.

Brazilian variant P2 was nominated a VOI and renamed as 'Zeta', but is now not even listed as a VOI.

The Greek alphabet tomorrow thing is being widely reported in lots of places. Not sure where Mu came from as it’s already used :)

but yep it may go no where and burn it’s self out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.