Coronavirus (2022) thread

My partner's mum tested positive yesterday. Got Parkinson's and dementia (recently diagnosed) been in hospital for 4 weeks after falling out of bed. 10 days ago my partner and her dad were stopped from visiting as another patient on ward tested positive. I did say at time be surprised if doesn't go round ward now. We'd already been told never be home again and would be going into a nursing home.
Sorry to hear that ob, must be a difficult time for all of you.

The Northern Ireland data from pre Omicron just beore Christmas to today show that the numbers of over 60s testing positive have doubled. From under 5% to 9%. With the over 80s having tripled.

These remain well below the levels last January pre vaccines really getting underway for all. Less than half.

But it shows why we are at a critical point where Omicron's reduced severity will be tested against the most vulnerable in ways it has been much less so amongst fit and younger people almost entirely catching it in past weeks.

Hopefully the pattern will not change much. But it would be naive to expect it not to change at all.

Sorry to hear that ob, must be a difficult time for all of you.
Cheers mate, round with her dad at weekend. He is 86 and last 4 weeks first time ever on his own in his life. Lived with his mum and dad until he got married just over 40 years ago. Been tough few months. We have helped them sell their house (family home of 40 years), buy a retirement flat with onsite warden. Then she fell and taken into hospital and told us never be home again. Partner n myself spent last few weeks looking round local care homes then covid broke on ward so couldn't visit her and we knew she wouldn't move for while now she's tested positive. My girlfriend has filled in forms for power of attorney for both mother and father but not gone through yet. I kind of feel hopeless as my partner doing everything on her own (brother in States and sister in Australia)

This was obvious given that families would visit over Christmas and staff would be getting Omicron. Its why I have been looking. This is why the numbers in the most vunerable ages are rising in hospital and why we are now at a point where icus could be overwhelmed and deaths rocket - even if Omicron is still less serious in the most vulnerable. Which we are about to find out fingers crossed.
Elderly residents at my daughters place have barely had a sniffle with it. All triple jabbed. She said if it wasn't for regular testing they'd never have known they'd had it. Hopefully it's playing out across the nation, in similar fashion.

Cheers mate, round with her dad at weekend. He is 86 and last 4 weeks first time ever on his own in his life. Lived with his mum and dad until he got married just over 40 years ago. Been tough few months. We have helped them sell their house (family home of 40 years), buy a retirement flat with onsite warden. Then she fell and taken into hospital and told us never be home again. Partner n myself spent last few weeks looking round local care homes then covid broke on ward so couldn't visit her and we knew she wouldn't move for while now she's tested positive. My girlfriend has filled in forms for power of attorney for both mother and father but not gone through yet. I kind of feel hopeless as my partner doing everything on her own (brother in States and sister in Australia)
You’ve done the right thing with the power of attorney, I’ve been through it, stay strong, hope it all works out for you.

Elderly residents at my daughters place have barely had a sniffle with it. All triple jabbed. She said if it wasn't for regular testing they'd never have known they'd had it. Hopefully it's playing out across the nation, in similar fashion.
Hopefully yes. But coupled with the notable rise in deaths in England hospitals in the past week and the unknown numbers as they rarely get reported in care homes here but given both Scotland and Northern Ireland we can safely predict there will be a lot of cases there too. And if even only a few extra enter ITUs and or ventilators it will be a problem in the NHS regions feeling strain with so many staff off isolating.

I am optimistic too over this based on what we know so far but these are going to be the key things to watch for in coming days and I am surprised the media are not even noticing these big care home rises given that they are going to determine where we go in coming weeks one way or the other. Should be a story they are following is all I am saying.

Whitty says the majority of admission are because of covid with a very high number not vaccinated

Last briefing
Of the 13,045 people in English hospitals with Covid on 4th Jan, 8,200 of them were primarily being treated for Covid. That's 63%.

I don't know how many of them have been vaccinated though if you have a link to those statistics I'm sure it would be interesting to find out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.