It's Quiet 16 - Txiki grinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you suggesting we could have different teams registred for different competitions or what do you mean? Buy some players that wont be able to play in the league, just the cups? Seems unlikely to say the least.

No, the opposite. It doesn't matter that the PL requirements are less demanding, the team would be built to compete in all, including the CL which is the most onerous.

Further home-grown players don't help any, we are already over the limit. Buying them because they are the best available targets, all good. Choosing them over other targets just because they are home grown, not something i'd expect the club to do (which was the original point, i.e are we only interested in him because he is English - no we are not)

So the papers think we are running with this next season then

Foden/Jesus - Haaland/Delap - Sterling/Mahrez
Grealish/Gundo - Rodri/Rice - De Bruyne/Silva

The piss boiling would be incredible.

Quite like the option Rice give to swtich into a 4231 and let one of the creators free in the #10 behind a #9.

Never happen imo though

Rice really would be a Football Manager transfer for us if I’ve ever seen one. Two absolutely world class players in one position is a little indulgent (and highly unlikely).

We’ve other priorities.

No, the opposite. It doesn't matter that the PL requirements are less demanding, the team would be built to compete in all, including the CL which is the most onerous.

Further home-grown players don't help any, we are already over the limit. Buying them because they are the best available targets, all good. Choosing them over other targets just because they are home grown, not something i'd expect the club to do (which was the original point, i.e are we only interested in him because he is English - no we are not)
Alright, now I understand what you mean!
I dont agree we are over the limit, since we have less than 8 senior homegrown players. We have solved this by not registrering a full 25 man squad of seniors. Our main problem though, as you said, is our lack of club trained seniors, not homegrown seniors. For CL you need 4 club trained seniors and we only have 1 next season (Foden).

But my point still stands in the way as yes, we currently have no immediate need for homegrown players, but with being only 2 over the limit its still something we constantly have to think about when making transfers. Especially with Raheem looking likely to explore his options, and at least one of them likely to be unhappy with his minutes (Ake). If both were to leave without us replacing them with homegrown players (and I cant see any homegrown players on a similar level of quality being realistic targets), we would be locked into only being able to replace say Walker with a homegrown player in the future.

Thats why I think we should definitely be interested in signing one or two of the few English players that actually are of quality high enough to have a place in our squad. Because if we are being honest, its only a few outside the top6 clubs (mostly unrealistic targets like Kane) that are good enough for us. On the top of my head I can currently only think of Rice, Bellingham and maybe Phillips that are English players who we could realistically sign that would also not be out of place here. And since all of them are midfielders replacing Fernandinho with one of them makes perfect sense to me=)

With that said, I do agree we should not be after someone just because they are English. But if they are good enough, AND English, they should definitely be a priority if we dont want to paint our future selves into a corner, considering how close we are to the limitations.

I don't understand this talk of back up. We have 2 players for each position that compeat against each other.

Would you call Laporte a back up to Ruben/John?

Would you call Gundogan a back up to Bernardo and KDB

2 players of equal quality or more in one position is brilliant. They both improve each other. Pep uses the entire squad and wants them to compeat against each other for the 1st team position.

Rice is quality. Would improve Rodri with Rice breathing down his neck. CDM is very important position in a Pep team. You need to get the right player. Rice is perfect.

We don't have back ups. Pep uses the entire squad.
Spot on.

We lose Rodri for any extended period and that huge gap we are currently enjoying will close quickly.

Besides,no reason both cant play in some games - i'd like to see it.

Personally I think Rice would be a brilliant signing for us, its more a question if he would be willing to come here when he knows he would have to overcome Rodri in the pecking order to be first choice. Perhaps it would make more sense for him to join United (assuming they reach top4, unlikely I know), where he knows he would be first choice, or Chelsea who play with 2 players in his position, making his chances to start a bit better. From what I read he is also Chelsea fan. But if he is open to it, I would happily take him.

Otherwise I think we really should consider Phillips. Plays in the same position as Fernandinho for Leeds, in a similar system (obviously not the same level but still) and has looked brilliant there. Would also likely be more willing to accept that Rodri is first choice, at least initially, and probably cost close to half of Rice as well.

This is obviously just useless speculation from me, especially considering we are most likely signing neither of them!

Alright, now I understand what you mean!
I dont agree we are over the limit, since we have less than 8 senior homegrown players. We have solved this by not registrering a full 25 man squad of seniors. Our main problem though, as you said, is our lack of club trained seniors, not homegrown seniors. For CL you need 4 club trained seniors and we only have 1 next season (Foden).

But my point still stands in the way as yes, we currently have no immediate need for homegrown players, but with being only 2 over the limit its still something we constantly have to think about when making transfers. Especially with Raheem looking likely to explore his options, and at least one of them likely to be unhappy with his minutes (Ake). If both were to leave without us replacing them with homegrown players (and I cant see any homegrown players on a similar level of quality being realistic targets), we would be locked into only being able to replace say Walker with a homegrown player in the future.

Thats why I think we should definitely be interested in signing one or two of the few English players that actually are of quality high enough to have a place in our squad. Because if we are being honest, its only a few outside the top6 clubs (mostly unrealistic targets like Kane) that are good enough for us. On the top of my head I can currently only think of Rice, Bellingham and maybe Phillips that are English players who we could realistically sign that would also not be out of place here. And since all of them are midfielders replacing Fernandinho with one of them makes perfect sense to me=)

With that said, I do agree we should not be after someone just because they are English. But if they are good enough, AND English, they should definitely be a priority if we dont want to paint our future selves into a corner, considering how close we are to the limitations.
Wouldn't Bellingham have to move back to the UK by the summer of 2023 to ensure he'd be home grown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.