Poll Closed - Favourite Male Vocalist

I think I'd put Dwight Yoakam at the top of my list but feel it would be like a vote for the Wessex Nationalists in the General Election.

It's very much a personal view but I feel that a vote for Messrs Mercury, Hucknall and Michael is a vote for the Anti-Music Party.

“Only the Good Die Young” is a home truth in his case.
He is has only got a few years on me but despite the some well written songs I would like to think there are many more male vocalists that have a better grasp of their craft than this New Yorker but I guess its always a state of mind.

Call me what you will but I would find it hard to place him in the top 500.

He is has only got a few years on me but despite the some well written songs I would like to think there are many more male vocalists that have a better grasp of their craft than this New Yorker but I guess its always a state of mind.

Call me what you will but I would find it hard to place him in the top 500.
Other than “Allentown”, which I love, and maybe a tune or two on “Glass Houses”, I think he’s absolutely awful.

Whether you like his songs or not - Freddie is head and shoulders above anyone else in terms of range and power.

Possibly only George Michael comes close.

Plenty with good and distinctive voices that suit their style - eg. Brett of Suede, Coverdale of Whitesnake, the well loved Morrissey, Ferry, Bowie, Ian Curtis, etc etc. but the former 2 have incredible wide ranging voices.
With range and power I think you might be doing Axl , Mike Patton and the likes of David Lee Roth a little disservice ,
not saying that you would place any of them in the top ten if these where your main criteria for placing them in that category but many have a decent octave range.

this one again comes down to me at least as if you listen to the audio what hits a note with you as opposed to the visual.

Do they make you part of the journey in a meaningful way and take you to another place emotionally when you hear that voice.

harmonies and instruments can change and IMO do change the experience immensely.

I think it would be interesting as FOG alluded to in part if the voice was singled out without the accompaniment and you might have a completely different appreciation or not as the case may be of the voice.

Should a front man in a band you respect and enjoy get a gig like a Jagger a Plant a Gramm or a Rogers I don't know.

I could pick 10 I listen to a lot for their voice quality and great output satisfying your needs immensely and I wouldn't damage the score board I am sure of it.

Other than “Allentown”, which I love, and maybe a tune or two on “Glass Houses”, I think he’s absolutely awful.
I have to say I struggle with Billy Joel I cannot say I love any of his catalogue even though I have tried to do him some justice in the my distant past.

I have some respect for a track or two on the earlier stuff and would play a couple of songs on the Stranger if the visitors saw fit (LOL) but after that sorry Fog not for me.

I actually loathe Glass Houses and make myself scarce if any of the tracks was playing in my household.

Fortunately for me when my kids were growing up they shared my view.

Last edited:
With range and power I think you might be doing Axl , Mike Patton and the likes of David Lee Roth a little disservice ,
not saying that you would place any of them in the top ten if these where your main criteria for placing them in that category but many have a decent octave range.

this one again comes down to me at least as if you listen to the audio what hits a note with you as opposed to the visual.

Do they make you part of the journey in a meaningful way and take you to another place emotionally when you hear that voice.

harmonies and instruments can change and IMO do change the experience immensely.

I think it would be interesting as FOG alluded to in part if the voice was singled out without the accompaniment and you might have a completely different appreciation or not as the case may be of the voice.

Should a front man in a band you respect and enjoy get a gig like a Jagger a Plant a Gramm or a Rogers I don't know.

I could pick 10 I listen to a lot for their voice quality and great output satisfying your needs immensely and I wouldn't damage the score board I am sure of it.
I think the parameters probably need defining more.
For instance - although he won't or hasn't had a mention, I know a couple of voice coaches that absolutely rave about the abilities of Daryl Hall.

Just reading the comments so far and thought this should be fun!
I can see we're going to have plenty of heated discuusion when these results come out.

I have to say I struggle with Billy Joel I cannot say I love any of his catalogue even though I have tried to do him some justice in the my distant past.

I have some respect for a track or two on the earlier stuff and would play a couple of songs on the Stranger if the visitors saw fit (LOL) but after that sorry Fog not for me.

I actually loath Glass Houses and make myself scarce if any of the tracks was playing in my household.

Fortunately for me when my kids were growing up they shared my view.
“Sometimes a Fantasy” is ok, mostly because he’s trying to sound like The Cars.

He’s a semi-talented middlebrow schlub. And he got rich, and Christie Brinkley. FFS.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.