Poll Closed - Favourite Male Vocalist

I think the parameters probably need defining more.
For instance - although he won't or hasn't had a mention, I know a couple of voice coaches that absolutely rave about the abilities of Daryl Hall.
Agreed and he would definitely be in my top 30 as it so happens there are so many parameters but again I think IMOO we should focus on the same criteria and constraints we envisaged and applied when it came to the females.

“Sometimes a Fantasy” is ok, mostly because he’s trying to sound like The Cars.

He’s a semi-talented middlebrow schlub. And he got rich, and Christie Brinkley. FFS.
Gee I think you are being a tad generous I prefer the think of the visible part of a crescent moon late in its last quarter.

He always had a penchant for youth as you say only the good die young.

Poll update
Early days but 13 entries in already and 93 different nominations
I only need one PJ and it’s LG because I love so many artists going back generations Americans Irish, Opera and Tenor’s it’s easier with female artists and bands
I’ll try for the other nine if your short, but how long have we got ?

I hope any of you impressionable sausages don't forget dear Elton when compiling your list?

Not trying to be an influencer but this really is a Human Sign!

Last edited:
With range and power I think you might be doing Axl , Mike Patton and the likes of David Lee Roth a little disservice ,
not saying that you would place any of them in the top ten if these where your main criteria for placing them in that category but many have a decent octave range.

this one again comes down to me at least as if you listen to the audio what hits a note with you as opposed to the visual.

Do they make you part of the journey in a meaningful way and take you to another place emotionally when you hear that voice.

harmonies and instruments can change and IMO do change the experience immensely.

I think it would be interesting as FOG alluded to in part if the voice was singled out without the accompaniment and you might have a completely different appreciation or not as the case may be of the voice.

Should a front man in a band you respect and enjoy get a gig like a Jagger a Plant a Gramm or a Rogers I don't know.

I could pick 10 I listen to a lot for their voice quality and great output satisfying your needs immensely and I wouldn't damage the score board I am sure of it.
My main criteria is whether or not voice acts as a unique instrument. As such, this requires some talent, of course, but also differentiation, which includes intonation. Does a voice drip with cynicism to convey a band’s message, or pretension because the singer is trying to convey that what he has to say is “important” (I’m looking at you, Bono)? I’m also looking for distinction. Did a singer sound or do anything new or different? Were there vocal characteristics no one either could match or would think of matching? As usual with these kids of polls, plenty of respondents won’t be able to differentiate artist from art (which is difficult and understandable) or will lean too heavily on their perception of “mastery” and “talent” (imagine thinking Daryl Hall is anything other than a pissant pop lightweight because some vocal coaches said so).

I don’t ignore “talent” but I prefer uniqueness and originality to mastery, and my list has more the former than the latter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.