Poll Closed - Favourite Male Vocalist

You could, but you'd be wrong.
I agree.

Did Morrissey’s tone match his message?

I think it absolutely did. That’s one of the reasons I like The Smiths and him (note — not love — like).

Did Freddie Mercury’s? Not always, in part because there wasn’t a message always (or even often). Clobbering “Bicycle” like you’re singing “Somebody To Love” is a major faux pas in my book. Now maybe he was SO talented one can overlook this, but you can’t not think about it.

Mastery shouldn’t be (can’t be, actually) the sole criteria for a thinking music fan.

My main criteria is whether or not voice acts as a unique instrument. As such, this requires some talent, of course, but also differentiation, which includes intonation. Does a voice drip with cynicism to convey a band’s message, or pretension because the singer is trying to convey that what he has to say is “important” (I’m looking at you, Bono)? I’m also looking for distinction. Did a singer sound or do anything new or different? Were there vocal characteristics no one either could match or would think of matching? As usual with these kids of polls, plenty of respondents won’t be able to differentiate artist from art (which is difficult and understandable) or will lean too heavily on their perception of “mastery” and “talent” (imagine thinking Daryl Hall is anything other than a pissant pop lightweight because some vocal coaches said so).

I don’t ignore “talent” but I prefer uniqueness and originality to mastery, and my list has more the former than the latter.
Great points on artist from art and over emphasis on talent which much better describes what I was alluding to in a journey from the song and the voice that conveys it.

How its sung is just as important if not more as how it sounds.

When its distinct and new you know it but often find it difficult to describe but it makes for a better experience.

My main criteria is whether or not voice acts as a unique instrument. As such, this requires some talent, of course, but also differentiation, which includes intonation. Does a voice drip with cynicism to convey a band’s message, or pretension because the singer is trying to convey that what he has to say is “important” (I’m looking at you, Bono)? I’m also looking for distinction. Did a singer sound or do anything new or different? Were there vocal characteristics no one either could match or would think of matching? As usual with these kids of polls, plenty of respondents won’t be able to differentiate artist from art (which is difficult and understandable) or will lean too heavily on their perception of “mastery” and “talent” (imagine thinking Daryl Hall is anything other than a pissant pop lightweight because some vocal coaches said so).

I don’t ignore “talent” but I prefer uniqueness and originality to mastery, and my list has more the former than the latter.
Definitely Roger Whittaker for you then.
Covers all bases there.

Other than “Allentown”, which I love, and maybe a tune or two on “Glass Houses”, I think he’s absolutely awful.
A couple more than that for me. “Allentown” is an undisputed cracker, but I also like “Goodnight Saigon” and a track off “Cold Spring Harbour” (a really early album), called “Everybody Loves You Now”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.