The Boxing thread

Usyk would run Fury close as he is a great boxer. However he’s not a natural heavyweight and Fury’s size and reach would overwhelm him. As for Joshua, nice guy but Fury would embarrass him

Fury is unstoppable, He has everything. I'm still laughing that at one point people genuinely thought that Anthony Joshua WOULD beat Fury :) Fucking classic! Fury would fight Joshua and Whyte together and KO the pair of them.

The only man clever enough to come close to beating Fury is Usyk. Usyk is absolutely sensational throwing punches at incredible angles, his foot work, head movement...Even at that I still don't think it's enough to beat Fury. What a fighter!

They did well selling out a sparring match tonight.

I don't want Fury rushing into a title fight because I don't want any excuses for him if he loses, it seems he gets better in some people memories the further back his last fight was. He's been dining off that one fight with Wlad for so long now, not to take away being the first guy to do it but it wasn't a vintage Wlad, he was caught off guard that night and couldn't get going. It wasn't a great fight either, not technically or as a spectacle with back and forth action, I was happy for him when he got the decision, the gameplan was right on the night to get the nod and fair play to him and his trainer for that but lets be real here about the fighter he is.

He's a very big difficult opponent, mobile(footwork is ok compared to some but he is clumsy with it at times, not graceful), good head movement compared to most heavyweights out there today, good hand speed and punch output for heavyweight too. That's all well and good but the idea he will school the top heavyweights is way off he's not Ali and should stop talking like he can ever be considered a polished fighter like that, like he's in a position to talk down about the other heavyweights when he can't in a lot of respects.

For one he doesn't have a granite chin, he was knocked right on his arse by Steve Cunningham who wasn't even a proper heavyweight(the size difference was laughable), if he makes that mistake with Wilder he's done for. Then there's his own power, if he's up against someone like Joshua who has him wobbled I don't think he has that knockout power to keep them at bay, that one punch power for them to worry about when going in for the kill. His stoppages come through accumulation, something which people laughably say about Joshua in the usual online boxing debates. To that I say no, look back Fury's stoppages in contrast THAT'S proper accumulation without KO power(still effective if you can do it consistently don't get me wrong)... Joshua hurts opponents with straight jabs at times, forces them into a tight defence and then he has to pick his punches to get around their guard(very good at that too), you can tell he has heavy hands by the way the majority of his opponents have reacted to the first taste of his shots. Looking back at his highlights I see that I don't want to be here anymore look about them, all thoughts of winning it quickly leaves their head and it's survival mode.

Finally there's also the failed drugs test issue with Tyson, sorry to keep bringing that up but I do find it weird how it's been sweeped under the carpet, he failed a test for steroids(probably should have meant the Wlad fight should have been called off if they knew beforehand), failed a further one for benzoylecgonine while making jokey references to scarface on twitter, then took a self imposed lay-off for two years(coincidently the time most steroids cheats are suspended?), then failed to show up to a UKad doping hearing in Dec 2017. Now he's somehow back and become a hero of boxing and all the rest are pretenders? Not for me sorry and I think Joshua beats him by KO even in his Wlad fight shape too, Wilder I think he can beat if he concentrates on his footwork, making sure Wilder is always out of position to land anything cleanly(something Wilder does himself a lot without help) and using his weight advantage to good effect.
Loads of hypricosy. You are right.

One day you will admit you were wrong. It looks a long long way away though.

I think we seen the best and worst of boxing from a fan perspective tonight.

On one hand, a huge boxing fight is probably the most exciting spectacle in all of sport. IMO, a huge boxing bout and the build up is more enjoyable than a Super Bowl, CL final or F1 race.

Yet, the lack of unified regulation and pursuit of money over competition really lets the fans down. The undercard tonight was a joke and for the entertainment factor alone, UFC London shit all over tonight’s fight card.

The fact Whyte had to wait so long for his title shot despite being mandatory is also a disgrace. Too often once a fighter wins a world title they join the gravy train which holds up a division. Wilder/Fury 3, Joshua/Ruiz 2 and Joshua/Usyk 2 should never have happened/happen IMO as the rematch’s were totally undeserved.

If champions who lose their belt had to earn rematches then there would be better fights available for undercards.

This.

There's almost a sense of denial from some people... how anyone can take this fight as a negative or a poor performance from Joshua I don't know. People need to swallow their pride and admit they wrote him off as another Audley Harrison too early.

Sure he was outboxed in some periods of the fight but a) He will learn from it and improve, also he wasn't overwhelmed by Wlad he held his own. b) The good thing is there's no other heavyweights on a technical level that Wlad showed last night(nobody's telling me Wilder is on that level there's just no way), he looked fresher and hungrier than he has done for years, as I said he beat a much better version of Wlad than Fury did.
Denial you say?

Loads of hypricosy. You are right.
Where is the hypocrisy? I was talking about people losing their shit over opinions people are entitled to have. Ie someone(wasn't even me they are on about I just disagreed with the sentiment) just said they think Usyk would win and got a load of stick for it from multiple posters.

Edit: Also to be clear there is no hypocrisy there in my post you quoted. There was no attempt to say Fury was shit either, I gave him credit for what he'd shown to his game up until that point(that's how it goes in boxing). That comment was from August 2018 where Fury had two warm ups against tomato cans where he didn't look good at all and was in talks for a fight with Wilder I believe. Even Fury fans said he'd looked rusty(understandably because of the layoff) and were questioning whether it was too soon to take the Wilder fight.

Secondly, after that fight Fury switched trainers to work on the Kronk style which has levelled up his punch power. So he has improved in some respects since then. I said AJ by KO, not by outboxing him. I believe I made a post around the Wilder rematch when he made that change that if Fury could add that edge to his game I might have to favour him against AJ, if he can do it, which I'd probably stick to if that fight ever gets made. I've also said I fancy Usyk to win the rematch because this is nothing like the Ruiz situation(but how can that be.. I'm an AJ fanboy). If you look properly, I also said he can beat Wilder before the fight, if he uses his footwork, which he did.

As for "Denial you say?" Again you're just throwing out worthless statements with no substance. That was after AJ had beat Wlad in just his 19th fight(3 and a half years as a pro, after taking up boxing late at 18)where people refused to give him credit. Many on here said Wlad would school him if I remember right, though I'm not sad enough or invested enough to go back and dig people out over it(but if they did "they were wrong and wouldn't admit it" to use your trope, were you one of those people proven wrong? Is that why you're taking these comments so personally?). People forget he won most of the first 4 rounds with his jabbing and hooking(boxing) on the majority of peoples scorecards, he had Wlad down in the 5th and then he emptied tank going for the stoppage too soon swinging wildly and then got caught caught multiple heavy shots at the end of the 5th round before finally succumbing to a second massive right hand from Wlad in the 6th("no chin" though... Wilder was knocked out cold from one left hook from Wlad, with headgear on!)... That's where the fight started in some people's memories(as clear sign of bias) where they made out he was outboxed from start to finish and got "lucky". There were constant parallels to Audley Harrison being drawn before then(some still try it on amazingly), he proved those people wrong time and time again(or was it this that triggered you I wonder?), that should have died after the Whyte fight. There has been a consistant refusal to give him any credit and downplay every opponent he faces, while inflating Wilder's(Ortiz "the boogyman") and Fury's(Otto Wallin massive win).

Last edited:
I just can’t warm to Fury’s personality but I know how much he brings to the entertainment side of Boxing and tonight he once again proved his one the best ever in this sport.

good luck to him if he has truly retired.

I think we seen the best and worst of boxing from a fan perspective tonight.

On one hand, a huge boxing fight is probably the most exciting spectacle in all of sport. IMO, a huge boxing bout and the build up is more enjoyable than a Super Bowl, CL final or F1 race.

Yet, the lack of unified regulation and pursuit of money over competition really lets the fans down. The undercard tonight was a joke and for the entertainment factor alone, UFC London shit all over tonight’s fight card.

The fact Whyte had to wait so long for his title shot despite being mandatory is also a disgrace. Too often once a fighter wins a world title they join the gravy train which holds up a division. Wilder/Fury 3, Joshua/Ruiz 2 and Joshua/Usyk 2 should never have happened/happen IMO as the rematch’s were totally undeserved.

If champions who lose their belt had to earn rematches then there would be better fights available for undercards.
Great Post.

I actually thought we he uppercut glanced his chin and didn’t really connect . Very chinny is whyte
From the side yes, but from head on it was completely different. The punch caused his head to spring to the right and must have sent shockwaves through his skull. He could barely stand when he rose from the canvas.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.