UEFA Champions League changes

Probably in the minority, on here at least, but I think the 10 different oponents in a league will be far more interesting than the groups stages we have now, and an inprovement.
It will give more games between the "big" established teams, which fans do seem to like, and reduces the jeopardy, which clubs seem to like. The early rounds are a real slog, as someone who goes to them, so I'm not desperately attached to the current format, but I really enjoy everything from the QFs onwards as a match going fan.

It will give more games between the "big" established teams, which fans do seem to like, and reduces the jeopardy, which clubs seem to like. The early rounds are a real slog, as someone who goes to them, so I'm not desperately attached to the current format, but I really enjoy everything from the QFs onwards as a match going fan.
Think the appeal to me is,I assume there will be a seeding of sorts ,so a chance we will see different teams playing each other, but also the league will be ever changing so there will be more jeopardy in finishing top 8 and a couple of bad results may end up with some big teams missing out on the knockouts or at least ending up in a play off game.

Probably in the minority, on here at least, but I think the 10 different oponents in a league will be far more interesting than the groups stages we have now, and an inprovement.

Yes, sure. No doubt we will have to play Liverpool, Real, Atletico, Bayern, PSG, United, Milan, Juventus, Dortmund and Barcelona. They will each have to play us and nine teams from the bottom 16 teams.

And why would the clubs support a "festival of football"? It's less games. More games against small clubs in the league phase, and less games when it gets interesting at the end. Are they aiming at high paying neutral fans at all the games? Where would the atmosphere be then? I don't get it .....

Hotels and airlines are going to fucking love the semi and finals being played in a Neutral venue the price gouging will be immense not for the big wigs though they will have booked their shit in good time.

Also do the the clubs involved get an uplift in prize money to offset lost gate/food/corporate and merchandise revenue?

Yes, sure. No doubt we will have to play Liverpool, Real, Atletico, Bayern, PSG, United, Milan, Juventus, Dortmund and Barcelona. They will each have to play us and nine teams from the bottom 16 teams.

And why would the clubs support a "festival of football"? It's less games. More games against small clubs in the league phase, and less games when it gets interesting at the end. Are they aiming at high paying neutral fans at all the games? Where would the atmosphere be then? I don't get it .....
Well the league won't work like that, and the festival of football semis are somebodys guess at what could happen.
So going off what we know is happening I think it's better than the present group stages.

They clearly don’t understand what makes the champions league good to watch which is the knock out stages. The group stages are the biggest miss match of teams and when it gets into late November you end up with two potential damp squib group games.

The Spanish, Italian and German clubs who don’t get the money the English clubs get through their domestic tv deals will be happy with the extra few guaranteed group games.

Well the league won't work like that, and the festival of football semis are somebodys guess at what could happen.
So going off what we know is happening I think it's better than the present group stages.

Honest question, then, as I don't know. How will the league work? Who determines, and how, who plays who and at which venues?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.