Real Madrid (A) Post Match Thread

I honestly don't think we bottled this one. It was nothing like the Chelsea and Lyon matches. I am not saying we didn't make mistakes but the Walker injury cost us and their second goal was a fluke. It was a perfect game till the 90th minute.
Perhaps when the dust settles things will look different. I do accept your broad point though that we are not as mentally strong as we should be. I was more unhappy about our performance in extra time than Real's two goals in a minute. One key difference between us and Liverpool is they are better at coming back off the ropes. Perhaps it is a Klopp thing. I don't know. We can be ruthless but we are not over-emotional and sometimes that can work against us. Sometimes matches are settled by pure emotion, like 93.20.

We aren't good at coming back off the ropes as you put it but we don't have to do it very often and have not developed that track record.

Maybe we need one or two players who have a different mental strength to help raise the belief in the rest of the team. Maybe we just need a player who scores goals easily, which will lift a mental weight off everyone else.

Like everyone else, I’m stunned we let that get away.

When we play our game, we are literally unbeatable. When we succumb to multiple substitutions, try to see out games, and stop playing, we look vulnerable to crosses, commit unnecessary fouls around the box, and then lunge at balls in the box.

As has been said elsewhere (although I haven’t read many pages), we are a light squad without ready replacements in key areas. Without going player by player, or position by position, we need to move out dead weight and either buy quality replacements or bring in EDS players and actually play them. We have quite a few players who look past their sell by date for this team, but a strong base from which to rebuild.

We are THISCLOSE to greatness, but have failed at the final hurdle on the biggest stage too many times.

I’m absolutely gutted. Sick to my stomach. Nothing short of 3 points per game from here will save this season from feeling like a disaster…even after watching some of the best football ever.

The quality and adaptability of some of our players has helped paper over some of the serious cracks in the squad. Here’s hoping having the highest revenues in football leads to a SERIOUS OVERHAUL of this squad.

Pep and Txiki have some serious decisions to make in a few weeks, and we MUST be ruthless!

The Beautiful Game is about results.
I honestly believe that we will get a serious overhaul.

Totally agree. Your world class keepers pull off the saves that break the opposition's hearts and win you games. He's not capable.
I know he didn’t suit Peps style of play but I was at the Nou Camp when Joe saved us losing by a cricket score. That is what we need coupled with being brilliant with the ball. Ederson is always liable to let us down.

Last 2 away performances in Europe have been awful. Never thought I’d question the teams mentality but we were off from the start.
Not for 89’mins we weren’t, it was perfect, however, that just embodies the real diagnosis of cityitis for me, soon as they equalised everything in the bones said ‘here we go’… forgot how this felt but when you’re head and shoulders above the opposition, the harder the pill to swallow!

So pissed off with this result. Up there with one of the most disappointing ie FA cup Wigan, westham (1/4final), MU to win league.

I agree with all of the above games mate, the boss has got it wrong numerous times but not tonight. We all want him to make those early changes normally and see the game out. They didn't have a shot on target until the first goal. Definitely one of those things tonight.
I think that is what baffles me most… the changes were made to see the game out but we didn’t do it - we did against Athletico… soooo frustrating

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.