Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manchester(United)evening news running an article by Rooney claiming our 3-2 win v QPR was questionable and should be looked into.

Hope our lawyers are all over this.

Its so laughable, esp given what the Rags have had inc that season with dodgy penalties galore, Oliver bottling a Fulham penalty v them, Young diving v Villa for a penalty and sending off etc etc etc. Nice to know he is hurting still from that day 10 years on
He’s just trying to stay relevant,his time has come and gone and he’s just a typical bitter scouser spouting bullshit,has he not had the chance to talk about it in the stand during the WAG court case.

Think he's latest 84 year old bit on the side has just dumped him and he's upset.

Booing the National Anthem and Prince Wiliam is a childish gesture whatever your political views. Booing Abide with Me is just totally ridiculous. What the fuck is the matter with these people? LFC fans have become some sort of social media cult. Can't they think for themselves?
Personally I enjoy singing the national anthem, find Scousers insufferable when it comes to football, and think booing Abide With Me is disgusting, especially when it's being sung by people whose families are affected by an awful, underpublicised disease like sickle cell.

However, I am very wary of any outrage campaign led by the likes of the DM. When people were booing players for taking the knee, they had no problem with it, and we have a a PM who wouldn't condemn it for days. Considering what black players and fans have been through through the years, and still go through - including our black players and fans - that was pretty disgusting. Basically these are people who say they want freedom of speech, but what they really want is freedom of speech entirely on their terms, ie the freedom to be nasty to minorities and not the powerful.

Don't get me wrong. Not in favour of booing anthem, hymns, or the President of the FA. There are far better ways to express discontent. But I suspect there's more to this tabloid 'outrage'. There's a section of the press which just does not like anyone who won't pretend all is rosy in the garden, and they like it even less when you're from a big Northern city where they don't have much control over opinion.

Klopp saying the boos must be historically related lol... First time I can't fault his reply... Your right klopp historically your fans are fucking vile vermin and have been for as long as I can remember!!!!!!
Then I assume he would have no objection to anyone booing the German anthem for historical reasons.

Freedom of Expression

Parts of the media are reporting on the rights to freedom of expression in the context of booing at the FA Cup Final during `Abide with Me` and whilst the National Anthem was being sung.
It seems that freedom of expression only works one way.
Freedom of expression is a wonderful thing but it has to be balanced by respect for other people and their feelings. I'm free to express my opinion that everyone I work with or interact with socially is a useless twat. But there would be a price to pay for that. I'd probably lose my job and have no friends.

In the real world, the one not inhabited by these perpetual victims, we sometimes have to curb a desire to insult or belittle someone. We have to hold our tongues in all sorts of situations, not because we're afraid of the consequences of not doing so, but because we respect others. Personally I don't agree with observing the minute's silence for Remembrance Day at football matches. There are enough opportunities to show respect to the victims of war and I don't believe before kick off at a football match is the right place, when we have a well established national remembrance opportunity. But I don't boo. Instead I think about my grandfather who fought in the trenches.

Some don't agree with taking the knee, seeing it as an empty gesture. The families of black Brentford players were allegedly racially abused at Goodison. We saw a banner flown over the Etihad that had a racist intent. The same media who (eventually) decried racism against black players feel no shame about anti-Arab racism. But we've largely stamped out the booing of it hopefully. If there are people who don't like it, they stay silent.

2011 was the first FA Cup Final I attended in person as I couldn't do 1981. Hearing Abide With Me, live in the stadium, brought tears to my eyes as it's been the iconic, enduring tradition at Cup Finals down the years and something I dreamed of singing myself. What possible reason is there to boo that?

If they were free to express themselves during the National Anthem (I'm not a huge fan myself) then why weren't our fans free to express themselves during the ill-judged and badly communicated silence for the Hillsborough victims? It works both ways. But had they been properly informed, our fans would have respected it, as they did in 2014, whatever their views and despite "freedom of expression".

Last edited:
Personally I enjoy singing the national anthem, find Scousers insufferable when it comes to football, and think booing Abide With Me is disgusting, especially when it's being sung by people whose families are affected by an awful, underpublicised disease like sickle cell.

However, I am very wary of any outrage campaign led by the likes of the DM. When people were booing players for taking the knee, they had no problem with it, and we have a a PM who wouldn't condemn it for days. Considering what black players and fans have been through through the years, and still go through - including our black players and fans - that was pretty disgusting. Basically these are people who say they want freedom of speech, but what they really want is freedom of speech entirely on their terms, ie the freedom to be nasty to minorities and not the powerful.

Don't get me wrong. Not in favour of booing anthem, hymns, or the President of the FA. There are far better ways to express discontent. But I suspect there's more to this tabloid 'outrage'. There's a section of the press which just does not like anyone who won't pretend all is rosy in the garden, and they like it even less when you're from a big Northern city where they don't have much control over opinion.
Can anyone explain why the dippers find us booing the UEFA anthem offensive to European Royalty, while hypocritically booing our own?

Manchester(United)evening news running an article by Rooney claiming our 3-2 win v QPR was questionable and should be looked into.

Hope our lawyers are all over this.

Its so laughable, esp given what the Rags have had inc that season with dodgy penalties galore, Oliver bottling a Fulham penalty v them, Young diving v Villa for a penalty and sending off etc etc etc. Nice to know he is hurting still from that day 10 years on
The plot must have also involved the whole City team who allowed themselves to go 2-1 down and had 44 shots on the QPR goal (an all-time PL record). Rooney has been making a lot of attention-seeking statements recenly. Perhaps it is a deflection tactic to conceal the truth about his unprofessional lifestyle and incompetence as a football manager. This whole thing is beyond parody.

The plot must have also involved the whole City team who allowed themselves to go 2-1 down and had 44 shots on the QPR goal (an all-time PL record). Rooney has been making a lot of attention-seeking statements recenly. Perhaps it is a deflection tactic to conceal the truth about his unprofessional lifestyle and incompetence as a football manager. This whole thing is beyond parody.
Its also possibly because, even if you take away the points deduction, he got a Derby side that should have been good enough for automatic promotion into lower mid table.
There has been honestly calls for him to be made manager of the year - for taking a side that should have got enough points to be promoted into lower mid table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.