It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

You can't honestly believe that Pep Guardiola plays anyone just because he's threatened to leave? And then continues to play him for the same reason?

Have you missed Stones injury record this season?

Stones has sat on the bench a lot this season when fit. Undeservedly.

Like I said, I’d like to think not and I doubt that’s happened but it’s a strange decision for me. When Stones has proved he’s our best defender over the past couple of seasons.

Stones has sat on the bench a lot this season when fit. Undeservedly.

Like I said, I’d like to think not and I doubt that’s happened but it’s a strange decision for me. When Stones has proved he’s our best defender over the past couple of seasons.

Like I said earlier, I just don't think Pep wants two right footed centrebacks if the leftback is also right footed. It limits passing options or at least the speed with which they find them. It's why a lot of the time Cancelo will push up or move inside and Laporte or Ake goes to cover out wide.

That's not so much of an option with Dias out there because his instinct will be to bring the ball back onto his right before playing the pass.

Phillips would be a bit of a strange one. I've never seen much there although I can't claim to be watching or analyzing too many Leeds or England games.

But, he's young-ish, helps with the homegrown quota, and does fill a position of need.

We need more depth, more Zinchenkos who are good locker room presences and reliable when called upon, but won't kick up a fuss if they're not starting every match. And those players can't be expensive. So if he can be that guy, Phillips does tick quite a few boxes.

Like I said earlier, I just don't think Pep wants two right footed centrebacks if the leftback is also right footed. It limits passing options or at least the speed with which they find them. It's why a lot of the time Cancelo will push up or move inside and Laporte or Ake goes to cover out wide.

That's not so much of an option with Dias out there because his instinct will be to bring the ball back onto his right before playing the pass.
Agreed. Pep has said that Laporte's left footed passing angles are important, so Stones is unfortunately competing with Dias. I think Stones is better than Dias in many ways (speed, heading etc), but arguably Dias's organisation of the defence balances that out.

I may be projecting, but I've also noticed that Laporte has become more passionate about his defensive actions this season. Stones absolutely bought into the Dias "defend at all costs" attitude, but Laporte always looked a little awkward with it - perhaps those two playing together so much this season is making a difference to Laporte too.

Phillips would be a bit of a strange one. I've never seen much there although I can't claim to be watching or analyzing too many Leeds or England games.

But, he's young-ish, helps with the homegrown quota, and does fill a position of need.

We need more depth, more Zinchenkos who are good locker room presences and reliable when called upon, but won't kick up a fuss if they're not starting every match. And those players can't be expensive. So if he can be that guy, Phillips does tick quite a few boxes.

Sounds like he's the new Fabian Delph then

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.