Golf Thread

I’ve been recommended a nice hotel in St Andrews. The green fees are so pricey. Old. course is £270 which I can sort of understand but most of the surrounding courses are £100 and above. Me and my mate was thinking of treating another mate for his 60th to a round at the OC but he might be getting a sleeve of pro v1s instead.
Golf has become a lot more expensive in the last year or so particularly for courses with any kind of reputation.
The Three days St Andrews Links ticket is no longer cheap at £270 for unlimited golf for three days but if you are up to play golf it is still quite a good buy. The Castle , Jubilee and New courses are all really worth playing and you can add in some more golf on the others if you have the energy.
I did this about three years ago with some friends and had a great time. Added in a round on Ladybank on the way over which was worth playing.

Golf has become a lot more expensive in the last year or so particularly for courses with any kind of reputation.
The Three days St Andrews Links ticket is no longer cheap at £270 for unlimited golf for three days but if you are up to play golf it is still quite a good buy. The Castle , Jubilee and New courses are all really worth playing and you can add in some more golf on the others if you have the energy.
I did this about three years ago with some friends and had a great time. Added in a round on Ladybank on the way over which was worth playing.
Cheers pal. I will check out Ladybank, also considering playing Silloth on the way home .

Cheers pal. I will check out Ladybank, also considering playing Silloth on the way home .
Never played SIlloth but it's meant to be a cracker.
Other courses between Manchester and St Andrews which I've played and are worthwhile are Southerness and Lanark.

The Saudi backed LIV tournaments have started today.

I've watched half an hour and have some observations.

1 - The teams seem to have zero meaning or consequence at the moment.

2 - 54 holes is too long. What they're trying to do is essentially what cricket did in the 1970's - go from Test matches only to 1 day cricket. But instead of going from 5 days to 50 overs, they've just gone from 4 days to 3 which doesn't change much. I would have loved to see 18 or 36 holes, and make it into a sort of T20 version of golf where you HAVE to go hard to stand a chance of winning - hitting every par 5 in 2, trying to drive short par 4s, attacking the pin on par 3s to get birdies.

3 - The shotgun start is interesting but removes all sense of how good a score is. I have no idea if someone is at -3 because they started on an easy stretch of course and have played all the par 5s or if they're genuinely outplaying the field.

4 - Commentary is pretty bland although comparable to the online streams of the European Tour. People seem to really like no adverts, but it's a bit like a short highlights package, just shot after shot without great explanation of how important the are.

They've not brought in anything new. New camera angles, new graphics or visualisations etc. What about Split screens? Overlays? That might be something they bring in later.

Last edited:
And a shit load of players are getting suspended by the PGA. Going to be an interesting few weeks coming up.

And a shit load of players are getting suspended by the PGA. Going to be an interesting few weeks coming up.

Seems like a pretty open and shut case of restriction of trade? The PGA Tour has created a monopoly and is now banning anyone else.

I also don't think it's great from a legal perspective that the European Tour and PGA Tours are so obviously collaborating and will happily release players to play each others tournaments or the Asian Tour or Challenge Tour, but not the LIV Tour.

I think the existing powers have handled this really badly so far.

Spiteful timing as well, the announcement from the PGA.

A load of hoo-har about this the last week. Big money on offer for half the effort of a regular tournament. No-brainer to get on board with it.

Also Phil Mickelson looks like he just woke up from a massive coke bender and got dragged to the course. Unshaven, massive dark sunglasses, scruffy hair.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.