The Alan Ball era

I'm assuming that's true mate and have no reason to doubt you but what that means is you changed our history. Because without doubt Joe got us out of the shit.
You are very lucky in the football sense (and hope so in the rest of your life) because as a fan you've actually directly influenced our history and not many of us can say that.
I'm just amazed, grateful and to some degree, envious!!!!

When journalists could pick up the phone and speak to people...

I remember my mates going down to watch the training at platt lane. We all played sunday league and were fairly competent players. They told me City were practising putting crosses into the box but either couldn't beat the first defender or sent it sailing out for a goal kick. When they packed up to go for a shower everyone watching booed them off. Makes nowadays seem like a dream.

Imagine being man of the match in a World Cup Final for England and working with players who spent more time on the piss than playing football!

I couldn't believe it when he was appointed. The previous season we just escaped relegation so Franny said "There'll be no more of that next season. We aim to be much further up the table". Think Alan (RIP) was 4th choice in the end. What a flamin disaster & worse was to come.
Yep I think you're right about him being 4th choice (or way way down the list). Listening to Franny's interview on the City website, he eludes to the fact that City were messed about by another big "Manchester name" who took a month before making his mind up and eventually said no - obviously he was talking about Brian Kidd who'd have probably been a disaster too (based on his time at Blackburn). According to Franny in that same interview, they had no intention of sacking Horton, it was a misunderstanding as some gobshite board member went to the papers (he wouldn't name him) saying he should be sacked but it wasn't a board decision. Horton got pissed off and basically walked.

Yep I think you're right about him being 4th choice (or way way down the list). Listening to Franny's interview on the City website, he eludes to the fact that City were messed about by another big "Manchester name" who took a month before making his mind up and eventually said no - obviously he was talking about Brian Kidd who'd have probably been a disaster too (based on his time at Blackburn). According to Franny in that same interview, they had no intention of sacking Horton, it was a misunderstanding as some gobshite board member went to the papers (he wouldn't name him) saying he should be sacked but it wasn't a board decision. Horton got pissed off and basically walked.
Colin Barlow had read out a statement 2 days after the season ended regarding the sacking being a board decision, after Lee has said we should be aiming for top 6 not avoiding relegation. After the Lee comments Horton went to seek assurances prompting his sacking, which was obviously coming, just they announced it sooner.

Bruce Rioch was a target and fan favourite for the job.

Colin Barlow had read out a statement 2 days after the season ended regarding the sacking being a board decision, after Lee has said we should be aiming for top 6 not avoiding relegation. After the Lee comments Horton went to seek assurances prompting his sacking, which was obviously coming, just they announced it sooner.

Bruce Rioch was a target and fan favourite for the job.
Lol.. well that's definitely NOT Lee's version of events, perhaps he's re-writing history though.

Brian Horton was doing a decent job, why Lee fucked him off for the flat capped squeaker I’ll never know
This is a common myth IMO. Horton had us playing some great football in the first few months of the 1994-95 season for sure - who could forget the 5-2 win at home to Spurs in particular and convincing home wins against Everton and West Ham as well? - but it was only home games where we were performing. Away from home we were getting twatted left, right, and centre. 3-0 defeats at Arsenal, Chelsea, and West Ham, and that 5-0 debacle at Old Trafford. All those defeats came before Christmas and once our unbeaten home record went against Arsenal in December 1994, our home form fell off a cliff too. We went from 6th in the league in early December to the brink of the relegation zone in the space of 3 or 4 months and it was only those back-to-back wins at home to Liverpool on Good Friday and away to eventual champions Blackburn on Easter Monday that kept us up. Those 2 wins were huge and fully deserved but they actually came totally out of the blue and were outliers during a prolonged run of terrible results and performances which had seen us win only 2 of our previous 19 games.

Sacking Horton was the right decision for me as I feel he may well have taken us down the following season. Appointing Alan Ball is a different discussion altogether and it doesn't in any way make Horton's sacking wrong. And let's not forget that Horton hardly set the world alight in any of his subsequent jobs apart - IIRC - from a very brief spell where he had Huddersfield performing well. But it all went pear-shaped in the end and he was sacked just over 2 years into the job with Huddersfield bottom of the table.

According to the Blue Moon Rising book (read recently) Horton's sacking was due to someone on the board saying he was due to get sacked during the annual dinner at the end of the season. Was reported in the paper the next day, also coincidentally after the LMA meeting which Brian attended.

Rioch was the bookies favourite to take over but Brian Kidd (who was Ferguson's #2 at the time) was the one who had agreed to take our hot seat but later changed his mind as he didn't have the courage to tell Ol' Red Nose. Ron Atkinson was also mooted as a potential replacement.

This is a common myth IMO. Horton had us playing some great football in the first few months of the 1994-95 season for sure - who could forget the 5-2 win at home to Spurs in particular and convincing home wins against Everton and West Ham as well? - but it was only home games where we were performing. Away from home we were getting twatted left, right, and centre. 3-0 defeats at Arsenal, Chelsea, and West Ham, and that 5-0 debacle at Old Trafford. All those defeats came before Christmas and once our unbeaten home record went against Arsenal in December 1994, our home form fell off a cliff too. We went from 6th in the league in early December to the brink of the relegation zone in the space of 3 or 4 months and it was only those back-to-back wins at home to Liverpool on Good Friday and away to eventual champions Blackburn on Easter Monday that kept us up. Those 2 wins were huge and fully deserved but they actually came totally out of the blue and were outliers during a prolonged run of terrible results and performances which had seen us win only 2 of our previous 19 games.

Sacking Horton was the right decision for me as I feel he may well have taken us down the following season. Appointing Alan Ball is a different discussion altogether and it doesn't in any way make Horton's sacking wrong. And let's not forget that Horton hardly set the world alight in any of his subsequent jobs apart - IIRC - from a very brief spell where he had Huddersfield performing well. But it all went pear-shaped in the end and he was sacked just over 2 years into the job with Huddersfield bottom of the table.

You’re correct in terms of our performance but we also had a lot of injuries in the 2nd half of the season. The players coming in were mostly very poor. I watched the season review not long ago and was shocked by some of the goals Dibble conceded. Never would have happened with a fit Coton in net.

Ultimately we were only 5 points off finishing in the top half or something similar and we’d have got them without the injuries in my opinion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.