Raheem Sterling | Joins Chelsea for £50m

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand you, I just don't think its applicable to this move. Its a ruling on freedom of movement within the EU.

For him to be regarded as an exception, the right would need to exist prior for MCFC->Madrid move, he only meets one of the two requirements to be eligible to be regarded as an EU Citizen today.

(appreciate you taking the time though)

Are you basing it on the fact that's how it was originally applied, to Kolpak himself who was already living in the EU?

If someone is lawfully working in the EU, they have the right if their nation had an AA. Is your point whether he would qualify to enter in the first place? That's where I said I don't know what Spain's policy is on Jamaica in general. Presumably if he has no ristrictions to live and work there, then the ruling would mean he has no sporting restrictions either.

I just don't understand where you gotten this from? It's just not part of it at all.

The ruling is really simple. If you're a citizen of a country with an EU AA, you get EU citizens rights while you work in the EU.

It doesn't matter where you've been before you get to the EU.

As soon as he joins Madrid as a player, he's got the benefits. And then when they go to register their squad at the end of the transfer window, he can't be called a non-EU player.

You need to be already living and working in the EU for it to apply, that part is true.

Younare assuming as a jamaican he would have no issue entering and working in spain. I'm going with that because I don't know otherwise.

But the ruling isnt an automatic entry, it is an extension of rights to those already legally there. That is how it is worded

Where have you gotten this from? It's just not true.
Its ruling on internal freedom of movement within the EU. Its a right applicable to EU citizens or those that meet the 2 exceptions. (AA & Lawfully working)

He's meets neither right now so why would it apply to this move.

It would be a right he has once he signs with Madrid allowing for freedom of movement within the EU then, but for this move I think it'd still be classed as NON-EU to EU and not Internal so he wouldn't get the exception or status change.

Its ruling on internal freedom of movement within the EU. Its a right applicable to EU citizens or those that meet the 2 exceptions. (AA & Lawfully working)

It would be a right he has once he signs with Madrid allowing for freedom of movement within the EU then, but for this move I think it'd still be classed as NON-EU to EU and not Internal so he wouldn't get the exception or status change.

It doesn't matter where he is moving from. All that matters is that he is lawfully in the EU for it to apply to him.

You're wrong.

I really can't be fucked to explain it another 100 times, but just read the pages I've linked and you can see it's completely not true, or look at the DOZENS of African players who've moved to La Liga because their country was a signatory to the COTONOU agreement. Or the dozens of cricketers who moved from Africa and the West Indies to the UK when it was part of the EU.

No you don't. None of these players were living or working in the EU when they moved to work somewhere under the Kolpak rule.

You do. Exact wording 'The Kolpak ruling declares that citizens of countries that have applicable AA agreements, AND who are lawfully working in the EU, have equal rights as citizens of the EU.

Again, I'm going with, he would have no issues as a Jamaican having the right to work in the EU because I don't know one way or the other. But that would have to be true first, for the ruling to be active.

It isn't an entry route. It is simply an extension of rights to those already in the EU. Assuming he qualifies for Madrid as through a general entry route, they can't limit his right to play in the league. But he still needs to qualify in the first place. Through a route other than this ruling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.