Raheem Sterling | Joins Chelsea for £50m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a rule over freedom of movement within the EU, the ruling was made as he was working in an associated country at the time and treated different. Sterling isn't. He is clearly working in a non EU country and looking for a transfer in.

When Madrid sell him on the rule would be applicable, as far I read reads anyway.

i'll ask one of the lawyers on FT.

It has nothing to do with where you used to work. The only thing that matters is of you’re employed in the EU? If yes you have extended rights. Sterling would be working in the EU when he joins Madrid.

Every cricketer that ever used this rule was coming from outside the EU.

I can’t explain this any more clearly so if some random twitter account telling you you’re wrong is going to satisfy you then go for it, I give up.

Its a rule over freedom of movement within the EU, the ruling was made as he was working in an associated country at the time and treated different. Sterling isn't. He is clearly working in a non EU country and looking for a transfer in.

When Madrid sell him on the rule would be applicable, as far I read reads anyway.

i'll ask one of the lawyers on FT.

He is right.

The whole premise is he would be employed by Madrid as a Jamaican, not a UK citizen. And the ruling states that citizens from any country with AA rights are exempt from quota limitations.

and Jamaica IS one of those (despite being listed as the ACP block, which is why I couldn't see it).

A quirk that applies to Sterling but not other English players.

It has nothing to do with where you used to work. The only thing that matters is of you’re employed in the EU? If yes you have extended rights. Sterling would be working in the EU when he joins Madrid.

Every cricketer that ever used this rule was coming from outside the EU.

I can’t explain this any more clearly so if some random twitter account telling you you’re wrong is going to satisfy you then go for it, I give up.
No they werent they were coming from working in associated agreement countries via the OACPS. Sterling isnt, freedom of movement for him wouldnt apply on the second requirement

No they werent they were coming from associated agreement countries via the OACPS

Ok, I'll try one last time.

Nowhere in the Kolpak ruling does it say anything about where you were employed before you went to an EU country. It doesn't matter if he's coming from France, Jamaica, the UK or the moon.

The only thing the ruling says is that thanks to his Jamaican passport, and thanks to Jamaica's agreement with the EU, when he is legally employed in the EU, he gets the rights of an EU citizen.

So when he is employed by real madrid, he has the rights of an eu citizen.

The exchange and the tone it took aside, credit @domalino for knowing or finding that little quirk that should mean Sterling is entitled to play for Madrid with his Jamaican citizenship where he othwereise wouldn't be as a UK national.

The exchange and the tone it took aside, credit @domalino for knowing or finding that little quirk that should mean Sterling is entitled to play for Madrid with his Jamaican citizenship where he othwereise wouldn't be as a UK national.

I didn't find it, the Spanish press have been talking about it since Sterling got linked to them appparently. Some spanish dude mentioned it on /r/soccer.

I'd rather Sterling ended up at Real than Chelsea myself, so all good. If he isn't up for staying, goes without saying.

Ok, I'll try one last time.

Nowhere in the Kolpak ruling does it say anything about where you were employed before you went to an EU country. It doesn't matter if he's coming from France, Jamaica, the UK or the moon.

The only thing the ruling says is that thanks to his Jamaican passport, and thanks to Jamaica's agreement with the EU, when he is legally employed in the EU, he gets the rights of an EU citizen.

So when he is employed by real madrid, he has the rights of an eu citizen.
I understand you, I just don't think its applicable to this move. Its a ruling on freedom of movement within the EU.

For him to be regarded as an exception, the right would need to exist prior for MCFC->Madrid move, he only meets one of the two requirements to be eligible to be regarded as an EU Citizen today.

(appreciate you taking the time though)

For him to be regarded as an exception, the right would need to exist prior for MCFC->Madrid move

I just don't understand where you gotten this from? It's just not part of it at all.

The ruling is really simple. If you're a citizen of a country with an EU AA, you get EU citizens rights while you work in the EU.

It doesn't matter where you've been before you get to the EU.

As soon as he joins Madrid as a player, he's got the benefits. And then when they go to register their squad at the end of the transfer window, he can't be called a non-EU player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.