Raheem Sterling | Joins Chelsea for £50m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Players like Sergio, Yaya, Silva etc we could easily have sold for vast amounts and gained untold profits but I have always maintained, yes even me apparently, that we've been able to hold onto those players, be successful, win trophies, get "our money's worth" and then let them leave of their own accord. Unlike a Liverpool.

No problem with that, I've applauded it. Yes, even me apparently.

But a player entering their prime years, to a club that denied us a Champions League title not two years ago, is a little different than a 37 year old Fernandinho allowed to go back home.

I don't see why it's seen as two extremes. £45m or he leaves for free.

Sure let him go for a fiver then, that's better than nothing.
If Raz doesn't want to sign a new contract then realistically we only have this transfer window to make a decision on whats a reasonable transfer fee. The quote of 45m + 10m add ons comes from Chelsea side where as supposedly City want 60m. Do we really want to get in the situation that Arsenal used to every season when their players were running down their contracts & ended up paying over the odds wages wise for Ozil because they'd let Sanchez dictate terms.

But again, that doesn't mean just accept whatever comes your way so you can declare it sold does it?

Sorry to upset the apple cart for believing a 27 year old England International with closer to 100 caps, closer to 150 goals for us than 100, is worth a bit more than £45m to a direct rival one year left or not.

Such blasphemy, I'll go kill myself.
Would you be happy with 60 million pounds for him, in the last year of his contract?
Because that in reality is what we will receive, with the fee and savings on his wage.
He's been a terrific player for us but it seems, he has made the decision to move on.
Their is little we can do about that and the fact is,he would cost the club 60 million for a season in which he would be a squad player at best.
A brilliant bit of buisness by the club, if it goes through.

Yeah, not 100%. But sometimes those offers will be from clubs the player won't move to.

That said, if no club is willing to outbid Chelsea, then that shows what they think of Raz and the price.
Also wages will be a factor, I would imagine Chelsea will be offering more wages than Raz is on here

It wasn't a mistake; he simply didn't want to sign. Other than a horse's head in the bed, there's not a lot more we could have done.
We failed to get him to sign. He may have thought twice about leaving with an increase in wage. Probably not. Anyway, the point I was making was only pertaining to the fee. He signs a deal 18 months ago, enables the club to demand a higher fee.

The retailers clearly think they're "worth" more, as they originally wanted a higher price, but they weren't selling any or enough at that price. So they sell at a lower price to make space and get cash. All the supermarkets have 'yellow sticker' items when perishable stuff is close to its sell-by date.

"Raheem Sterling come on down, the price is right".
6a7aa833d40498fb6a4689c7ea37740d7c51f481.jpg

Are you fishing again :)

No mate.
I am not sure if you still attend the matches but reaction towards him is not always great at the game.
I am agreeing with your long held belief that he should leave.
Some people won't give him any credit.
When dislike for a player reaches a certain level it gives some a feeling of justification to raise the level of bile.

I don't like fishing and have never held a rod.

Players like Sergio, Yaya, Silva etc we could easily have sold for vast amounts and gained untold profits but I have always maintained, yes even me apparently, that we've been able to hold onto those players, be successful, win trophies, get "our money's worth" and then let them leave of their own accord. Unlike a Liverpool.

No problem with that, I've applauded it. Yes, even me apparently.

But a player entering their prime years, to a club that denied us a Champions League title not two years ago, is a little different than a 37 year old Fernandinho allowed to go back home.

I don't see why it's seen as two extremes. £45m or he leaves for free.

Sure let him go for a fiver then, that's better than nothing.
The difference is those players were key starters sterling has become a rotational player as was jesus and with haaland and alvarez coming in their minutes will be reduced even further. If the player wants to leave we tend to do our best to facilitate that I rate sterling and would prefer he moves to Spain (same with Gabby) but if he wants London our opinions are sell his this window or keep him for a season miss out on a fee, pay him his wages and a loyalty bonus (which will probably cost the club 75 plus mil) and he goes to Chelsea anyway. Think the club is making the best out of a bad situation.

No mate.
I am not sure if you still attend the matches but reaction towards him is not always great at the game.
I am agreeing with your long held belief that he should leave.
Some people won't give him any credit.
When dislike for a player reaches a certain level it gives some a feeling of justification to raise the level of bile.

I don't like fishing and have never held a rod.
Have a look at your last line again

Tight lines :)

Not really, I believe he must go. I rate Sterling and always have, his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses which are both real and exaggerated by our own fans.
However there is a tipping point many fans have decided and I don't think they will change their mind. I also believe if it gets worse and I mean at the ground ( not the dimwits on here) the place will become toxic.
Even when he scores or does something positive many refuse to acknowledge it.
I don't want him to become another boo boy so I think it's time for him to go some where he gets appreciated. Take whatever we can and hope he doesn't return to pull our knickers down.
It was 2 years ago when someone first posted " he hasn't played well for 2 years".
So at least if he goes most of us can remember his great contribution, others will see it as a green light to give him both barbells.
Do you think that tipping point was against Lyon in the Champs League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.