Keir Starmer

If you put factionalism aside the report proves

• There was cases of antisemitism in the party and the outside word - something no one denies
  • The cases and the whole issue was weaponised by opposing factions to their own ends - left and right wingers in the party
  • There was layers of factions infighting and undermining each other
  • An outdated discriminatory attitide was rife in labour HQ, both sexist and racist.
  • Labour HQ did work against the leadership that it didn't want.
  • This has been perfect timing for the tories to deflect their own factionism and division in the political press and also for starmer who knows the wider public are busy sweating to death
  • Both sides come out looking like self important twats.
None of it will surprise anyone. We are talking about 2017 - Labour was in a massive mess. Corbyn had won power with a vote of members but was widely disliked by the MPs and senior party figures. He did nothing to get them on side, he appointed his own people around him and led the party on a factional basis. His little clique v's the rest was his way of running the show.

Lefties will moan that it was all engineered for him to fail. Well his vision for the party was totally uncompromising. Was he ever going to convince the rest of the party machine to make a big lurch to the left - no. He could have tried a bit harder to bring people with him and in the end by 2019 there was a bit more common ground but his style of leadership (confrontational / zero accommodation of competing views) made the shit show inevitable.

None of it will surprise anyone. We are talking about 2017 - Labour was in a massive mess. Corbyn had won power with a vote of members but was widely disliked by the MPs and senior party figures. He did nothing to get them on side, he appointed his own people around him and led the party on a factional basis. His little clique v's the rest was his way of running the show.

Lefties will moan that it was all engineered for him to fail. Well his vision for the party was totally uncompromising. Was he ever going to convince the rest of the party machine to make a big lurch to the left - no. He could have tried a bit harder to bring people with him and in the end by 2019 there was a bit more common ground but his style of leadership (confrontational / zero accommodation of competing views) made the shit show inevitable.

Cause or effect.

That’s the problem with your narrative, much of what you describe as the cause were actually the effects of the chicken coup, shadow cabinet resignations and general back stabbing by the right of the PLP.

And quite a few trusted Labour commentators and sources painted 2019 as even more of a shambles than previous years.

Holed up in the bunker with Murray and Milne isolated even from John Macdonell and his officials.

Corbyn's policies weren't particularly that left, public ownership of industry by central and regional government is common in continental Europe (particularly Germany).

Unfortunately appointing a stubborn old git who never wanted to be leader, and gets rude and abrasive with doorstopping client journalists (rather than persuasively offering them cups of tea) is unlikely to win friends and influence people.

Cause or effect.

That’s the problem with your narrative, much of what you describe as the cause were actually the effects of the chicken coup, shadow cabinet resignations and general back stabbing by the right of the PLP.

And quite a few trusted Labour commentators and sources painted 2019 as even more of a shambles than previous years.

Holed up in the bunker with Murray and Milne isolated even from John Macdonell and his officials.

Corbyn's policies weren't particularly that left, public ownership of industry by central and regional government is common in continental Europe (particularly Germany).

Unfortunately appointing a stubborn old git who never wanted to be leader, and gets rude and abrasive with doorstopping client journalists (rather than persuasively offering them cups of tea) is unlikely to win friends and influence people.
Yeah agree, but basically he wanted to be leader of a group of people who did not want him to be leader. Having become leader he does nothing to try to bridge that gap. Is it on the MPs to give him a chance, maybe but it all just feels inevitable to me, because of his style. He was never going to even try, in fact I suspect they hoped that the moderate wing would leave in droves - that never happened. What a shit show.

Yeah agree, but basically he wanted to be leader of a group of people who did not want him to be leader. Having become leader he does nothing to try to bridge that gap. Is it on the MPs to give him a chance, maybe but it all just feels inevitable to me, because of his style. He was never going to even try, in fact I suspect they hoped that the moderate wing would leave in droves - that never happened. What a shit show.

He did nothing to bridge the gap?

He did plenty to bridge the gap. Frustratingly so actually as he refused to descend to the level of those stabbing him in the back and get rid of them. He was all for a broad church of voices within labour and it is actually the new regime that has conducted a purge and disowned the left.

He did plenty to bridge the gap. Frustratingly so actually as he refused to descend to the level of those stabbing him in the back and get rid of them. He was all for a broad church of voices within labour and it is actually the new regime that has conducted a purge and disowned the left.

Let’s be honest here though. Momentum disowned and hated anything and everything so why anyone would have wanted to throw them an olive branch I will never know and thankfully, no one did.

He was nothing more than their stooge.

Let’s be honest here though. Momentum disowned and hated anything and everything so why anyone would have wanted to throw them an olive branch I will never know and thankfully, no one did.

What page was that on?

Cause or effect.

From my pov, I liked some of JCs policies but he was very hard to get behind because of his abrasive ways. Put it one way, I’d have preferred Corbyn to this shower of shit but it was understandable why he didn’t win the election, even without the lies that the media portrayed.

I think one reason he put up with starmer and Watson was he was trying to retain some balance - if momentum did totally take over it may have got too close to the days of militant for the electorate to tolerate (imho)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.