Joshua Wilson-Esbrand | On loan at Reims

I hope this thread grows and grows (with positivity). I liked what I saw against Wycombe and I liked what I saw in pre-season. I've said too many times now, I wanted to see him tested against Salah to give him a real insight into what the top level is like. I understand the reason why we didn't.

Well actually, to be fair, it was literally the least important game in which he could have been pitted against Salah. Otherwise, it's either of the league games (I don't think), a game in either of the domestic cups (not a very good idea, if we get knocked out with a brilliant Salah goal or two responsible), or the CL (out of the question, if a senior player is available).

If we don't get a LB, he'll get some important minutes. Obviously Cancelo/Walker would be the starters, but we play with one very offensive and creative FB and a more defensive focus one, so I don't think Walker/Ake will ever start together. For me:
Starters: Cancelo/Walker
If Walker gets injured: Ake/Cancelo
If Cancelo gets injured: JWE/Walker

Well actually, to be fair, it was literally the least important game in which he could have been pitted against Salah. Otherwise, it's either of the league games (I don't think), a game in either of the domestic cups (not a very good idea, if we get knocked out with a brilliant Salah goal or two responsible), or the CL (out of the question, if a senior player is available).

It was the perfect scenario to test him, but Cancelo needed the run out. Pep clearly saw it as another pre-season game (despite claiming it as a trophy when we last won it). Regardless of JWE's performance, it would have been Cancelo starting against West Ham so the match fitness was needed.

Hopefully with 5 subs he gets opportunities off the bench. Whether we sign a left back or not, we will need to rotate and rest our fullbacks as a priority if games are won. I know we can shuffle Ake into a LB slot but with Laporte injured and Stones' fitness always a worry we should get to see Wilson Esbrand in the first team more this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.