James McAtee | On loan at Sheffield United

We dont loan out to premier league teams I wonder why that is are our youngsters as good as we think or
is it that we dont want them playing in relegation battle , but good luck to the lad hope he makes it
Most prem teams bar the three just came up still have full Internationals in midfield, he'd just be benched. The three that came up cant afford to take a risk too much money in the top end of the game.

Looks a decent move. Fair chance he'll be one of their better players so hopefully he'll get plenty of game time. I think this is a preferable option to the Prem where clubs will tend to bench an on-loan youngster as soon as the going gets tough.

i'm not familiar with Sheff Utd's football, but i hope it's on the floor and passing based! otherwise all he'll get is a sore neck watching it fly over his head towards the strikers. In fairness i think Sheff Utd do play a bit, so i hope he gets a lot from this, i thought he'd be challenging this season but perhaps one more year.

Funny thing football. I have completely the opposite view from your good self

Whilst he’s unquestionably far too good for the EDS, for me, he’s mikes away from being ready for us & I’m yet to be convinced he’ll ever be good enough

The game is littered with world class youth who never quite make the jump from youth football to the pro game

A loan might be the making of him if he can prove his quality at Sheff United

I’d love him & Doyle to be so successful at the Blades that they force their way into Pep’s thinking, but I don’t believe either will

Foden, he was getting minutes as a 17 year old, isn’t McAtee almost 20?

Plus we’re pretty stacked in CM, so a good move all round for me mate :)

I'm with you. He's undoubtedly a brilliant player but he's two years younger than Foden who would have been scoring 3 a game at EDS level at 20 years old. I don't know how he's going to end up and I'm therefore really happy with this loan deal so we can see his all round game in a very competitive league. Pep's clearly seen from training things he likes, but thinks he'll benefit from playing time which therefore suggests he's not close enough to getting minutes for us this season. Considering Phil and Jack don't get many minutes centrally, McAtee would likely be a wide option which we don't really need. He's got so much ability, but it's whether he can do those turns/drive forwards with the ball at the top level or whether he is a bit too lightweight and inconsistent - does he have enough to his game to make an impact when he can't carry it 30 yards and bang it in the top corner.

Palmer is so impressive because I think he's just got the brain to know when to pass and when to shoot/take someone on. He has taken to the first team like a duck to water.

Sometimes city say something with the youth, then do something else, I think James Mcatee is a great player much like the same mode as Phil Foden and city just had him in and around the first team to get him playing with better players in training than loan him out,

James Mcatee might feel unwanted by pep and man city and may question why Foden was kept in and around the first team and not him

Just seen his interview and he is clearly very excited to make the move. It's given him a new and completely different challenge and the next nine months will be pivotal in his career. I have loved watching him play for City and seeing his amazing quality on the ball. I wish him the absolute best and hope he has great success at Sheffield. And a year from now I really hope we are saying...welcome back James.

Good luck to him. Looking forward to seeing how he fares in the Championship, and think it’s probably best for his development, but a bit concerned about our lack of depth this season. Think he would have got games in the cups, and would’ve been in the matchday squad more often than not.
Only when we have a couple of injuries.
In domestic matches we can have 9 on the bench,
so 11+9=20.
We have 18 seniors (plus Carson) and Palmer, JWE and Mbete would come first for the time being IMO.
In CL matches with 12 subs he would be included as before.

The lad needs to build up his body to be more competitive as a PL midfielder. Hope he has a great season and improves.

It will be interesting to see in both Doyle and McAtee establish themselves in the Blades first team - hopefully they will both be able to play and not be in competition with each other.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.