Games that brought you back to earth with a thump

Bolton Wanderers in the League Cup 51 years ago (1971).
City were one of the top teams in the country and Bolton were in Division 3 ( I think).
Thousands of blues there, and we got beat 3-0 iirc.
Fucking devastating to a 15 year old schoolboy !!
Missed Bolton but went to Bury. We'd missed the title by one point the previous season and Bury were in the 4th division. The gap between the sides was probably greater than between us and Halifax seven seasons later and the defeat was heavier.
I also see the Bury defeat as particularly bad as my school was in Whitefield and there were a lot of Bury fans there. The Bolton fans gave me grief the previous year.

Boredom: City 0 Bristol Rovers 0
Sobering :Blackpool.0 City 0
Despair: Lincoln 3 City 1
No hope Rodney Rowes winner at .........Y.

Boredom: City 0 Bristol Rovers 0
Sobering :Blackpool.0 City 0
Despair: Lincoln 3 City 1
No hope Rodney Rowes winner at .........Y.

If that’s the League Cup game at Lincoln it was even worse than you remember. Not only 4-1 but Rosler scored almost straight from the opening kick off and loads of us were still queuing to get in.

Not helped by Pep’s needless tinkering with the squad!
I'm a huge Guardiola apologist and have been way before he joined City.

This is the one tactical decision that never sits well with me. No holding mid against a team that lived for the counter attack.

There’s been a few. That’s the beauty of football. It has a way of putting you on your arse with ease. You need to be resilient.

Bournemouth when Luther Blissett decided to have second half Stormer, from 3-0 up to 3-3. Delayed our promotion party and the doubts set in. I think we then had to go and get a point away at palace, and whoever it was one place behind us in the table went a few goals up early doors too.

Took my family to a game against Barnsley at Maine road as a treat. Watched us get hammered, a bald player I think called Steve Agnew scored a rocket for them, screamer that hit the bar, bounced back onto the back of a diving Paul Cooper and went in, and we were sat right behind the goal. I think my sister still refers to it as the most boring day of her life

Wigan in the cup final. Lyon in the Champions League when I thought we'd sail through. Monaco when Mendy and Bernardo were playing against us and we just couldn't match them and mbappe over two legs. Real last year when it looked like we'd done enough.

QPR and just last season Villa, for a little while anyway;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.