Games that brought you back to earth with a thump

After the last Maine Road derby win 3-1 , I think we played Charlton Athletic at home next match and got beat
0-1.
"From the sublime to the ridiculous" definitely springs to mind on that occasion.
That was the first one that came to my mind,too, a huge letdown.

Another was having won at Brighton in the penultimate match of the 82/83 season, the travelling Blues were celebrating thinking we'd surely avoided the drop, then along came Luton.

Bury away in the League Cup 50 years ago, Halifax in the FA Cup, too many games against Wigan.
Bolton Wanderers in the League Cup 51 years ago (1971).
City were one of the top teams in the country and Bolton were in Division 3 ( I think).
Thousands of blues there, and we got beat 3-0 iirc.
Fucking devastating to a 15 year old schoolboy !!

More recent but when Pep’s Bayern came to play us in 2013 I was staggered at the gulf between the two sides. We were blowing teams away in England and I though we had a chance in the CL. Was I wrong !
Pep had Lahm, nominally a full back, playing in the middle of the park (sounds commonplace now but wasn’t then) and we just couldn’t get a kick. It was genuine men v boys. Joe Hart had a mare and it was only a late Negredo goal that made the score line more respectable.
Similar, but year before that when Dortmund came and battered us as champions, and Joe saved us from a mauling singlehandedly. Realised how far off the pace we were, not that I was bothered about the Champs League, honest.

That was the first one that came to my mind,too, a huge letdown.

Another was having won at Brighton in the penultimate match of the 82/83 season, the travelling Blues were celebrating thinking we'd surely avoided the drop, then along came Luton.

It all started so well that season too. Pretty sure we were top of the league after winning the first three games. Bobby McDonald keeping a clean sheet for most of the game against Watford springs to mind.

There are two for me that stand out.

After the miracle at White Hart Lane we went to the rags next round with 10,000 plus supporting us and lost 4-2 to a 10 man rag side. I can’t tell you how pissed off I was after that.

Beating Blackpool in the old Div 2 3-0 and thinking all would be good. Full house. Happy days.

Friday after I trudged it down to London for the Fulham game - 3-0 loss!
Good atmosphere at Maine Road that day against Blackpool, a real 'fuck this we're shit, but we're still here attitude. Full house as you say, and the first of many comfortable victories as we absolutely pissed all over everyone in the division....or so we thought!
Having a pre match pint in a nice pub by the Thames the following Friday I still thought the same.
Come full time at Craven Cottage reality really had bitten (from memory I think we were already 3:0 down at Half time?)
Still, it all ended up okay in the end!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.