Souness

Clearly commenting on the physicality of the game rather than saying women shouldn't play it.
Yep, the whole thing seems to have been blown well out of proportion. Souness is one of Sky’s better pundits and the general point he was making (about refs letting more stuff go this season and last) is a valid one. It’s improving the spectacle greatly.

Really don’t think what Souness said was that offensive in the scheme of things. Liked the way he spoke out on LGBT issues previously so he should probably be given the benefit of the doubt here. Not sure he’s necessarily the dinosaur he’s being made out to be by some.

That said, some of the responses to his comments online show that sexism/misogyny in football is still an ongoing problem.

On the whole I’m a big fan of Souness, but I thought his entire performance yesterday was just odd. Going on about how English football is more “honest” than foreign football because no one dives or cheats was just weird given he was getting giddy about a how “we’ve got our football back” because a German and an Italian got in each other’s faces and the match was decided by someone grabbing a players hair.

Going on a tirade against zonal marking at corners as well, despite the fact every single top flight team across Europe (including City, the team who concede fewer goals at set prices than anyone else) uses zonal marking because it’s just objectively better than the man marking he played 50 years ago.

It was like he was playing up to a stereotype of old pundits and the men being men stuff was just part of that.

He’s a better pundit than that.

Souness is very good at what he does. No ranting and rambling. No agenda, no snide comments and no worshipping his former club like some of the others.

He said what he said. Should be no harm done and no offence was meant. A case of let’s wipe our mouths and start again. He commented on a first game and was alluding to the fact that they should have been able to get on with it and that there was not a lot really wrong with what had gone on.

Why on earth a fellow pro wants to dig him out on a platform like twitter which is a cesspool for pile ons i have no idea. She knows what’s she is doing there with the “after the summer we have had “ comment.
The thing is after the success the female side had they need to still win over a majority of football fans and increase attendance figures and popularity. By going after someone like Souness England may have made a mistake there as by judging just the reactions on here that it was something out of nothing and looking for something that just wasn’t there.

Anyway hopefully it will blow over and no harm done.

Oh and just out of curiosity. With regards to the womens football what do the female players say when they have a woman behind them.

Obviously in the mens game you have either man on or man up. Sometimes you have the whole crowd shout it. Woman on sounds that bit more harder to say on the moment. Just curious if there are any female footballers on Here or anyone been to a womens football match.

Sexist pig or nothing to see here?
Thoughts?

Men’s football is a man’s game. Men do go at it in men’s football.

I listened to the whole thing and in the context of what he was talking about, he was saying that the English game is the best because - unlike other European leagues - we don’t roll around, like children as opposed to grown up men, as much in the Prem as they do abroad.

He wasn’t taking about men’s football in contrast to women’s football, he wasn’t taking about football as a sport being a man’s game. He was taking about English men’s football being a man’s game and not a little boys game, and it is!

Anyone kicking up a fuss about this is a ****, pure and simple. Because deep down everyone knows Souness didn’t mean anything belittling to women in what he said whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the whole I’m a big fan of Souness, but I thought his entire performance yesterday was just odd. Going on about how English football is more “honest” than foreign football because no one dives or cheats was just weird given he was getting giddy about a how “we’ve got our football back” because a German and an Italian got in each other’s faces and the match was decided by someone grabbing a players hair.

Going on a tirade against zonal marking at corners as well, despite the fact every single top flight team across Europe (including City, the team who concede fewer goals at set prices than anyone else) uses zonal marking because it’s just objectively better than the man marking he played 50 years ago.

It was like he was playing up to a stereotype of old pundits and the men being men stuff was just part of that.

Pretty obvious he doesn't like zonal marking but it wasn't a tirade. He wanted the players to make their own decisions when they saw it wasn't right.
I thought his comments about diving and simulation only referred to the games he'd been watching recently in the PL.

Two or three years ago, he brought up about how the Prem was starting to follow the path of other European leagues with all the diving and feigning injury and rolling around, and that we need to stop it.

He’s always been very vocal about that. He seems to be pleased that we aren’t going down that route.

Carragher also said that this season so far, we don’t seem to have had loads of the rolling around and that it’s good to see.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.