Aston Villa (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Poor from us today apart from a decent little spell after half time

We were the better team but when you consider how well we can play and didn’t, then it’s hard to say we fully deserved a win

We were flat, poor decision making and not giving many options for players to make passes.

Foden offered absolutely nothing today, I always defend him because I know he has quality but I’d drop him for a bit, let him get some hunger back.

Yep you could see it a mile off. Fucking blatant. That’s why we need a timekeeper like in rugby, this absolute nonsense whereby the referee can decide how much to add on is wank. Cut the playing time to an hour or even eighty minutes, but the clock only runs when the ball is in play. Villa started with the time wasting straight from the off and got worse as the game progressed.
The ball is in play for an average of 58 mins out of the 90 in a new study. That is appalling and something needs to change

He was constanly running at players and creating space....it was his pass for KDB that set up the goal .....I didnt say KDB had a bad game, I said he had one of those games where he looked like he was trying to hard to do it all himself...
To be fair he did a passable impression of 'Mahrez' with endless passbacks -their left back could have gone home.

Are some really having a go at Mahrez?

Should’ve been sold in the Summer? He was top scorer last season and is happy (no moaning or interviews) to rotate despite being one of the best wingers in Europe.

Not only that, the guy didn’t even start today. Kinell

Very disappointing. Half the team not at the races. So many wasted chances. So many poor final balls

I was praying for a second goal as it was obvious they were gonna get one chance and score.. the game just had that feel about it

In fact I was half expecting them to fluke a last minute winner

My concern at the moment is that we just look much less of a team than we usually do, even if we are still unbeaten.

I can accept that our style of play was always going to change with Haaland coming in to the team, but we seem to have aggravated this disruption by making a load of other changes to our play which just don’t seem to be working at the moment.

For a kick off, Walker has clearly been told to play more centrally this year and get more involved in the build-up. So far this hasn’t worked and we’ve looked more vulnerable as a result, particularly against Newcastle.

Meanwhile Gundogan and De Bruyne are playing incredibly high, and don’t show much inclination to drop deep and help Rodri out. We are trying to use Haaland as a diversion and get Gundogan behind the defence, and it almost worked today. But I would question whether he has the legs to do this now, and given how high De Bruyne is playing, we’re now effectively playing with a one man midfield most of the time. This lack of numbers in midfield has been made worse by playing Bernado so far wide, and again I think this failed badly today as he was hardly in the game in the first half.

The other observation is that Foden is playing a bit deeper this year, and playing it back much more often, whereas I think he’s best playing at the very top of the pitch and attacking the space. He is in poor form at the moment, undoubtedly, but I don’t think all the changes around him have helped.

I do wonder whether losing Lillo as Pep’s assistant in the summer is going to be a bit more of a loss than has been acknowledged. He was obviously a bit of an enigma, particularly as he didn’t speak a word of the Queen’s, but so far we’ve looked shaky at the back and less cohesive as a team, and we did improve significantly defensively when he was appointed.
Good points mate, and I don't think we ever look that good when both Gundogan and De Bruyne play together. Has to be one or the other for me

So what if he had 100% pass completion, 42 interceptions, and 28 headers won but hadn’t scored to date… would that be acceptable to you?

No need to be like that, i just doesn't like the idea one player is above criticism. Haaland need to do better, fortunately he knows it and work even harder for it. So any criticism against him will be pointless since he have good mentality to work harder to improve his weakness of his game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.