Is our squad stronger or weaker than last year?

What do you think?

• Total voters
What’s the Haaland and Alvarez split?

People are talking about the squad and squad players. Seems a bit disingenuous to say Haaland and Alvarez have 17 between them when the vast majority are for 1 player.

Alvarez' goals to minutes ratio is better than Sterling's and Jesus's. He's barely played so far and has 4 goals in all compets. We are likely to score more goals this season.

Initially I thought we had a stronger squad than last season but I'm re-considering that now.
Jesus was one of the few who could match Bernie's energy , Zinch was very versatile ,
Haaland is like gaining 3 players in one. Alvarez showed great promise in his opening game but now his impact has slid as he gets less minutes in a strong side.
My reason for contemplating where we are is more of a concern that Mahrez and Grealish look like 2nd string squad players right now. Gomez is just another defender who doesn't seem great at defending.
Phillips - will he ever play? So Fern not replaced ?
The kids look good but not quite there.

Jesus was one of the few who could match Bernie's energy
With the greatest respect to him, Jesus missed a few sitters for Arsenal and is already starting to look fucked by trying to keep his energy up while being the main man. If he has a world cup as bad as the last one it might take him 18 months to regain his confidence. There is a reason why he isn't playing as our first choice striker, while our new first choice striker is on to shred records.

if he gets injured we are fucked. last night showed that .
With him we are miles better. IF he gets injured we have goals from Alvarez, Foden, Kev, Mahrez - far from fucked. In terms of the forward players we lost they both wanted to leave. I think we are in a much better place. If this post was after Copenhagen that was influenced by the sending off

With the greatest respect to him, Jesus missed a few sitters for Arsenal and is already starting to look fucked by trying to keep his energy up while being the main man. If he has a world cup as bad as the last one it might take him 18 months to regain his confidence. There is a reason why he isn't playing as our first choice striker, while our new first choice striker is on to shred records.
I agree with your assessment but even playing badly he provided a level of energy we will miss.

Interesting to revisit this nearly a third of the way through the season.

Erling is a huge upgrade on Jesus

Alvarez is a big downgrade on Raz

A never fit Phillips is a downgrade on Ferna

Akanji & Gomez between them add more to the squad than Zinch did

The new keeper looks to have more about him than Zack did

So on balance we seem to be a bit stronger but our performances so far haven’t been as good as they were in the corresponding period last season even though we’ve had an easier set of fixtures this time around.

Really disappointed that Phillips hasn't been able to play due to fitness/injury.

He's a very good player and would add a lot to this team, especially with his aggression.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.