Is our squad stronger or weaker than last year?

What do you think?

• Total voters
Stronger.

Obviously Haaland is doing what we've all been crying out for, converting most of the numerous chances we always create.
Also, whoever comes into the side, the academy lads, new signings, they fit in seamlessly and we don't miss a beat. That is great to see

It's been brilliant so far and i'm excited to watch us every game, but i think we'd find it hard to come up with a consensus first team if everyone was available.

He will as he's not 18 till next month and he'll bulk up. A RB doesn't need to be tall. Tariq Lamptey is smaller than Rico and he's 22 and stopped growing. He's very good player too.

And Sergio Gomez is only fractionally taller than Rico and also 22, so he won't get any taller.
Not necessarily.

I stopped growing at 15. Loads of people get to 16-18 and that’s it for them height-wise.

Like you say though, I’m not really sure why Lewis needs to grow, it’s not like he’s a centre back. Playing as a ‘full’ back in Pep’s team is more like playing as a right or left half back as we don’t play with full backs, so he’s tall enough if he’s good enough.

Hmmm dunno. Definitely fresher, which is a good thing. But stronger? I'm not sure about that. There's a quite noticeable drop off in team performance outside the core 14 or so, but then it is a very high bar to start with.

Hmmm dunno. Definitely fresher, which is a good thing. But stronger? I'm not sure about that. There's a quite noticeable drop off in team performance outside the core 14 or so, but then it is a very high bar to start with.
I’m sure about it. There were plenty of times last season where a much changed team stank the place out.

I’m sure about it. There were plenty of times last season where a much changed team stank the place out.
Twice now though we have made lots of changes in subs, the scum and Southampton, and on both occasions performance levels dropped off

Willl sit on the fence and say about the same.

Prior to the signing of Akanji, I felt the squad was weaker but the starting 11 stronger because Haaland is a massive step up in the first team than what we had.

However the squad of Sterling, Jesus, Zincenco and Fernandinho was/is better than Alvarez (who is just starting out and will become a good player in time), Phillips (just hasn’t been injury free to get on the park) and Gomez. The signing of Akanji I reckon brings the “squad” up to parity.

In short:
Strikers - stronger,
Wide attackers - weaker
Midfield - same (if Phillips fit then stronger)
Centre back - stronger
Full backs - weaker.

Twice now though we have made lots of changes in subs, the scum and Southampton, and on both occasions performance levels dropped off
Both games were well won before the subs though so it's quite possible that the starters wouldn't have been quite so focussed either. I suspect that large numbers of subs at the same time will usually lead to a certain drop in fluidity though and the same would have been true last season.

Overall we're stronger this season I would say. Just not 100% sure that we've quite found the right balance in some games to get the best out of the team yet. The signs are promising though.

I would say stronger as we filled a massive void with the Viking.. should avoid a defensive crises as we are stacked. Wide players maybe we are weaker.. but Palmer being a year on helps.. also think we have a bit more flexibility with players comfortable playing different roles.. so yeah stronger.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.